Watching TV in Linux using AiTech Wavewatcher

From: Somnath Nag (somnathnag_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 08/12/03

Date: 12 Aug 2003 11:32:28 -0700

I have RedHat Linux 9. Got a new toy yesterday - AiTech Wavewatcher
TV-PCI TV tuner and Capture card. Put the card in the machine and when
I reboot the machine - bingo - it recognized the new hardware.
I want to test the hardware - hooked the cable and started xawtv.
Guess what - my machine hanged.
What may be the problem ? What am I missing ?

Is there a better software than xawtv ?

Frankly, I haven't played in this part of the game. I am also looking
for some HOW-TOs or document on xawtv.
I am going through the documentation of :
http://www.stanford.edu/~bescoto/linuxtv/

Hardware wise I have
Dell Dimension 2350
P4 2G with 768M memory

Any idea/pointers/documentation, how can I capture the video and put
it on the web ?

Thanks in advance to all the Linux Gurus on the net.
Somnath.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Best capture card?
    ... Not a capture card, as such, but a Firewire ... in hardware terms although I've found their software to be mega-flaky. ... Hauppauge market 'Soft PVR' and 'Hard PVR' products, ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Help with Debian Install
    ... Redhat Linux 7 and Windows 95 dual boot running fine. ... is filled by the kernel as hardware is found by the drivers. ... ISA/EISA bus, then there may be some more work to do since the hardware ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Multiple input capture cards
    ... >> I am looking for recommendations on multiple video input capture ... >> more than one PCI capture card at once. ... I need to view video sources ... > pretty common stuff for the surveilence hardware market. ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • Re: Hardware Requirements
    ... > 40GB HDD ... if the hardware is good enough for Redhat Linux 8? ... Need help with Red Hat? ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: how to make bt878 + ccd b/w camera work together
    ... > capture card. ... capture tuner overlay clipping scales ... Dag Wieers had packages for xawtv for FC3 otherwise ...
    (Fedora)