Advice on Radeon 7000?

From: Rob D. (nospam_at_spam.no)
Date: 08/30/03

Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 15:12:51 GMT

Currently I'm using an ATI 3D Charger card (8MB). Using mplayer on a
1.1GHz Athlon, full screen divx movies can't be played without the
framedrop option, and although it's not severe framedropping, I've had
at least one other person laugh at how jittery it is.

So, that sets up my question. I'm looking for an AGP 4x (motherboard
limitation) card that'll allow me to watch movies fullscreen without
dropping frames. Will the Radeon 7000 have enough muscle to allow this?
What other cards might fit my criteria?

I've also got a general driver question. In another post above it's
mentioned that the X drivers for nvidia cards only support 2D
acceleration, and that I'd have to use nvidia's binary drivers to get 3D
acceleration (I'd like to avoid binary only drivers). Do X's drivers for
other chip makers support 3D acceleration?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: System slow afer XP-SP2 Update on some applications
    ... Updated your video/sound card hardware drivers from the manufacturers' web ... Many problems just became more noticable with SP2, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: New xP, microphone no longer works
    ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You also have hardware on your machine that requires drivers to interface ... You have a video card that allows you to see on ... a sound card that allows you to hear your PCs sound output and ...
  • Re: SP2 a joke!
    ... >had some problems with my sound card after update to ... >> Your hardware drivers likely need updating anyway. ... >> suggestions for third party applications to do this ... >> ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE ...
  • Re: New PC - everything supported by Fedora Core 3 ?
    ... I ended up using a Mad Dog FX 5500 PCI based video card. ... With this combination the Nvidia drivers loaded and worked with very ... The biggest problem I had was with the on board ethernet controller. ... I am using only SATA type hard drives. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: New xP, microphone no longer works
    ... Until you've gotten the correct drivers for the sound card, ... Windows ME drivers won't work with XP, ...