Installing RH8 directly to SATA HD

From: Dennis Peere (sycrontw_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 09/08/03

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:41:44 +0200

Dear,

I've asked this question before in several groups but didn't get a good
answer to it.
I'd like to install RedHat 8.0 (RH9 is not an option) directly on a SATA
harddisk connected to a SIL3112 SATA controller.

This controller is not supported in the 2.4.18-14 Kernel used by RH8 and
Silicon Image doesn't make drivers voor Linux.
They gave my an answer saying they leave this up to the Open Source
Community so I hope you people can help me out.

The support for this controller can be found in kernel 2.4.20-20.8 but I can
only install this kernel AFTER the RH installation.
Remark: I use a harddrive installation with a kickstart file (ks.cfg) to
install my systems.

Can someone please tell me how I can :
    Get support for the SATA controller in the kernel used in the setup of
RH 8
    Get the 2.4.20-20.8 kernel to be used automatically after installation
so I can use the SATA HD.

Regards,

Dennis