Installing RH8 directly to SATA HD

From: Dennis Peere (sycrontw_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 09/08/03

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:41:44 +0200

Dear,

I've asked this question before in several groups but didn't get a good
answer to it.
I'd like to install RedHat 8.0 (RH9 is not an option) directly on a SATA
harddisk connected to a SIL3112 SATA controller.

This controller is not supported in the 2.4.18-14 Kernel used by RH8 and
Silicon Image doesn't make drivers voor Linux.
They gave my an answer saying they leave this up to the Open Source
Community so I hope you people can help me out.

The support for this controller can be found in kernel 2.4.20-20.8 but I can
only install this kernel AFTER the RH installation.
Remark: I use a harddrive installation with a kickstart file (ks.cfg) to
install my systems.

Can someone please tell me how I can :
    Get support for the SATA controller in the kernel used in the setup of
RH 8
    Get the 2.4.20-20.8 kernel to be used automatically after installation
so I can use the SATA HD.

Regards,

Dennis

Relevant Pages

  • Re: New Laptop on the Way
    ... >> support for Broadcom. ... > kernel meaningful? ... However the last time I tried to install Ndiswrapper it ... drivers have become incredibly fragile. ...
    (comp.os.linux.portable)
  • Re: RedHat 10 wishlist
    ... That's a kernel function, not a Red Hat issue. ... it'll be available in a RedHat install. ... > like to support a great deal of non system stuff but the competition does. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Looooong Horror story, 10.04.4 LTS on an amd turion 64 bit laptop version
    ... I used a procedure which installed a custom combo of kernel 3.5.7 ... which appeared to install without any gotchas. ... The update-manager finished, I had it recheck, nothing left to do ... No networking at all, usb detection of my plugging in the radio ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • input method on fc3?
    ... FC3 and soundcard ... >> without problems and sound works fine. ... What modules were loaded with kernel ... I can install and configure samba on Linux as easily as I can install ...
    (Fedora)
  • Fedora Core 2, Averatec 3220 notebook
    ... I recently bought an Averatec 3220 notebook computer and have spent some ... Following is a detailed "howto" guide for installing Linux (Fedora Core ... Linux distro, which is easy to install and use, and for lots of answers ... We need one because the default Fedora Core kernel doesn't grok NTFS ...
    (Fedora)