Re: How to plug a WYSE 185ES (serial connections)

From: Richard S. Shuford (shuford_at_list.stratagy.REM0VE-THlS-PART.com)
Date: 09/18/03

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 23:23:23 GMT

David le Bourgeois wrote:

| I have a WYSE 185-ES terminal and a classic PC under Linux.
| But I know neither where to connect it nor how. I don't understand
| anything with all that relates to the possibility of "wiring". I
| know serial and parallel port. I see what is a null modem cable
| (DB9, DB25). But I'm not able to do something, because I don't know
| how to plug the device :-( Which sort of cable? I tested with the
| same cable which is useful for my scanner (a null one I suppose?).
| But it seems to me that it is the parallel one, because it is more
| larger than the serial one.

On a typical PC, a 25-pin D-shaped connector (DB-25) may be either
a serial or a parallel port. However, the custom adopted in 1981
by IBM for its first Intel-8088-based PC is that a serial connector
mounted on a chassis is expected to present pins (male), whereas a
parallel connector should be a female type. If you have a mix of
male and female DB-25 connectors on the back of a PC, then,
probably the male ones are serial and female ones are parallel.

On a typical PC, if you have a 9-pin D-shaped connector, it is
usually a serial port, although rarely it might be for a joystick
or something else unusual. Such a connector would properly be
called a "DE-9", yet because shell-size code letter's function is
not widely known, most descriptions call it a "DB-9". Oh, if the
connector name has a suffix letter "DE-9-P" or "DE-9-S", in that
context it means "plug" (male) or "socket" (female), *not* parallel
or serial!

IBM introduced use of the DE-9-P for RS-232-C interfaces in 1985
with the "PC/AT" model (which was based on the 8-MHz Intel 80286
processor).

Furthermore, the serial port on a PC should be a DTE-type RS-232-C
interface. If a DTE port is being connected to a DCE-type RS-232-C
interface (as you would find on a modem), a straight-through cable
is used. To connect a DTE directly to another DTE (as connecting
a PC to a terminal), you need a cross-over cable wired as the
infamous "null modem", by means of which the two DTE serial ports
are each fooled into thinking it is connected to a modem.

Some equipment, however, may use female DB-25's for serial ports,
and the gender may not match the DTE or DCE flavor. Your mileage
may vary. No smoking. Fasten seat belts.

A web site with diagrams is here:

    http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/serial/serial25.html
    http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/serial/serial9.html
    http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/serial/rs232.html

Accumulated information on video terminals resides here:

    http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal_index.html

 ...Richard S. Shuford
    shuford(at)list.stratagy.com

--
/usr/xpg4/bin/date '+%C%y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S'

Relevant Pages

  • Re: dumb terminal
    ... > i want to configure a DUMB terminals on sco 5.0.6 openserver. ... A normal modem cable would be DTE to DCE since a PC's serial ports are ... You dont say what make and model of terminal. ... are using an onboard serial port or a multiport expansion unit. ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: 4th axis progress
    ... The red color is the same for aviation terminal tools for the same size of terminals, easy to remember if one is familiar with electronic component/resistor color coding.. ... Soldering is permanent and prone to less fabrication-related failures than crimping, whether one is familiar with crimping or not. ... The vibration aspect keeps getting mentioned, and is definitely not much of a significant issue with home shop machines. ... If the sub-D cable connector is installed with a connector shell, then the soldered connection is already essentially immune to vibration issues, as the shell will dampen cable vibration. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Conneting hardware with SPC output to computer
    ... It has a footswitch with a 25 pin-female connector that connects to computer and a 10 pin rectangular RS-232 connector that attaches to the level. ... it has a serial port with RS-232 serial output. ... you'd want to automate this somewhat. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Serial terminal issues
    ... I bought a serial connector backplate in an ... Ports labelled 1-16 require RJ45-to-DB9 adapters for hooking the MRV ... use standard CAT5/6 cables. ... Serial port speed settings in a BIOS pertain to BIOS-level console ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: 4th axis progress
    ... red is for size 20 terminals. ... for these pins in the old days was two colored. ... connector body to depress the locking tabs on the pin to allow it to be ... Soldering is permanent and prone to less fabrication-related failures than ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)