Western Digital 80g USB drive?

From: Shadow_7 (Shadow_7_at_boxNOSPAMfrog.com)
Date: 10/03/03

Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 22:20:02 GMT

Make: Western Digital External Hard Drive
Model# WD800B008-RNN

I seem to be having trouble using this drive under linux. When I'm
writing to the drive it appears to disconnect itself from USB, even though
the plug has not moved.

It also appears to lock the local source drive. This is with cp or mcopy.
 The same will sometimes happen even with mkdosfs or mke2fs on the
 drive. I can still switch between terminals, so it's not frozen. But
 when I type in a user it hangs trying to bring up the password. I'm
 assuming that the local drive is not accessible and otherwise locked.

Is there a fix for this? Or did I just get a bum drive and need to return
it to the supplier ASAP? I also don't like that WD calls 1,000,000,000
bytes a gigabyte. That is false advertising in my book. As this 80gig
drive is really 74.5gigs.

Kernel: 2.4.22
Distro: debian(sid)
USB: 1.1