Western Digital 80g USB drive?

From: Shadow_7 (Shadow_7_at_boxNOSPAMfrog.com)
Date: 10/03/03

Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 22:20:02 GMT

Make: Western Digital External Hard Drive
Model# WD800B008-RNN

I seem to be having trouble using this drive under linux. When I'm
writing to the drive it appears to disconnect itself from USB, even though
the plug has not moved.

It also appears to lock the local source drive. This is with cp or mcopy.
 The same will sometimes happen even with mkdosfs or mke2fs on the
 drive. I can still switch between terminals, so it's not frozen. But
 when I type in a user it hangs trying to bring up the password. I'm
 assuming that the local drive is not accessible and otherwise locked.

Is there a fix for this? Or did I just get a bum drive and need to return
it to the supplier ASAP? I also don't like that WD calls 1,000,000,000
bytes a gigabyte. That is false advertising in my book. As this 80gig
drive is really 74.5gigs.

Kernel: 2.4.22
Distro: debian(sid)
USB: 1.1

Shadow_7

Relevant Pages

  • Western Digital 80g USB drive?
    ... I seem to be having trouble using this drive under linux. ... writing to the drive it appears to disconnect itself from USB, ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: output from printer
    ... bidirectional communication program for printers. ... I work in linux, my ... printer is on usb. ... I'd like to get messages from printer while writing ...
    (comp.lang.postscript)
  • Re: Cannot remove flash memory
    ... the USB Stick? ... He said Linux is way ahead of Microsoft when it comes to Hot Swapping ... the proper procedure is to umount, or at least sync, the device first. ... writing something important to the stick, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: output from printer
    ... bidirectional communication program for printers. ... I work in linux, my ... printer is on usb. ... I'd like to get messages from printer while writing ...
    (comp.lang.postscript)
  • HIGHMEM slows down 2.6.11-rc3-bk7 machine
    ... disabled in BIOS, mainly USB/NET/FIREWIRE/SATA stuff. ... Linux agpgart interface v0.100 Dave Jones ... usbcore: registered new driver hub ... ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: new USB bus registered, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)