Re: External Modem for Linux

From: baskitcaise (baskitcaise_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/07/03

Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:10:52 +0000

Kurious Oranj wrote:

> I'm new to Linux and had problems with a win modem, and decided to get
> an External Modem.
>
> Preferably one that will work fine with RedHat or Mandrake.
>
> Any suggestions or ones to avoid?

I have not come across an external serial that does not work with linux yet,
there are usb ones that are winmodems though so if I was you I would stay
clear of usb ones.

So it is up to the functions that you require, I used to have a Diamond Supra
56k with built in answer machine and fax which worked fine except it used to
answer before I could get to the phone it could be configured to wait for
more rings but I found that it would not retain the settings when the
computer was off, maybe just that one modem that was affected I don`t know
now as I have dsl.

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.