Re: External Modem for Linux

From: baskitcaise (baskitcaise_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/07/03

Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:10:52 +0000

Kurious Oranj wrote:

> I'm new to Linux and had problems with a win modem, and decided to get
> an External Modem.
>
> Preferably one that will work fine with RedHat or Mandrake.
>
> Any suggestions or ones to avoid?

I have not come across an external serial that does not work with linux yet,
there are usb ones that are winmodems though so if I was you I would stay
clear of usb ones.

So it is up to the functions that you require, I used to have a Diamond Supra
56k with built in answer machine and fax which worked fine except it used to
answer before I could get to the phone it could be configured to wait for
more rings but I found that it would not retain the settings when the
computer was off, maybe just that one modem that was affected I don`t know
now as I have dsl.

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: inexpensive modems that work with FreeBSD?
    ... Pretty much any RS232 external modem should work. ... I've always had good luck with USR, ... > I'm having even more trouble finding RS232 than USB. ... USR Sportsters run around $80 for an external serial version. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • RE: USB-Serial ??
    ... External modem is connected to motherboard by serial cable or USB ... winmodems but nothing for USB-winmodems. ... I am using fbsd 6.1. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: SUSE v9.0 Pro and Palm Tungsten C - Can it work?
    ... Rory Remenak wrote: ... > Do you have any other USB devices hooked up? ... one of the serial ports on the system. ... Another interesting sidelight - the machine already has an external modem. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Problem with modem over USB-serial converter
    ... I've installed Mandrake 10.1 official, and am attempting to connect an ... external modem via a Prolific PL-2303 USB to serial ... converter, as my PC has no built-in serial ports. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Creatix (win?)modem in Medion, anyone using ?
    ... I realise that in the extreme I may have to raid my beer piggybank ... > and buy an external modem, like to try to avoid that if at all poss.:) ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)