Can't recognise second harddrive

From: Paul Smith (paul_at_rostrevor.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: 12/03/03

Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 12:22:10 +0000

I am trying to setup an old PC to act as a Internnet connection sharing,
  file sharing, printer sharing, mail filtering and virus checking box
for a small home network.

I tried to install RH9.0 and Slackware 9.1 from CD both fail with Kernel
Panic...
After some research I unplugged the second harddrive (hdc) and both CDs
boot and install OK.

So I have a system running Linux on a 1GB harddisk. And am unable to
use my second 6GB harddisk.

I have used the same system previously with Linux Mandrake 7.2, and can
still boot that system on the second disk from floppy. I think this
installation might use an old OnTrack DDO Manager to point to the hdc...
but I thought Linux worked independently of BIOS or bootloader drive
settings. Currently the BIOS/CMOS settings ignore the second hard drive.

I can now boot to either RH9.0 on hda using option hdc=noprobe, or to
Mandrake 7.2 on hdc using a boot floppy.

Can anyone suggest how to encourage RH9.0 to recognise the second hard disk?

I have tried specifying
linux hdc=13410,15,63 hdc=noremap linear lba32
and various combinations of these options, but the system still fails to
boot with a kernel panic. I have tried using LILO and GRUB, no
difference noticed.

Is there a better route to getting a patched, up to date system eg could
I go back to my old working Mandrake 7.2 installation and update/patch
it in some way? The Mandrake ftp sites say 7.2 no longer supported....

Help!
Please!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Tell HELEN to call again 07986 218665
    ... The only tip I can offer is that if you plan a dual boot machine, ... make sure Linux is on the first 2 Gb of the hard disk. ... I've been told that the Debian is the one to go for. ... releasing desktop distributions I don't know what the current base of Mandrake is. ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Re: Linux lite
    ... Go to linuxiso.org and download Knoppix. ... Just download the iso and burn it to a cd then boot it. ... seen yet and I have tried Suse, Red Hat, Mandrake and Slackware. ... First I would like to learn my way around some version of Linux. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Mandrake 9.1 problem with MS Intellieye Mouse (USB)
    ... I'm brand new to the world of Linux! ... I installed Mandrake 9.1 and during the entire ... > Then the mouse is perfect except when I boot back into Windows XP then ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Mandrake 9.1 problem with MS Intellieye Mouse (USB)
    ... I'm brand new to the world of Linux! ... I installed Mandrake 9.1 and during the entire ... > Then the mouse is perfect except when I boot back into Windows XP then ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: RH 9.0 doesnt install: blank screen! (RH 8.0 & 7.2 do though)
    ... Tried 'linux text noprobe skipddc noapic apm=off noht'. ... I wanted to try on and so I chose 7 boot options: ... linux text noprobe skipddc lowres apm=off noapic nousb ...
    (linux.redhat.install)