Re: Linux-compatible OEM fingerprint reader

From: nolo (nolo_at_nospamthankyouv.com)
Date: 12/03/03

Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 22:35:48 GMT

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 18:14:15 +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:

>>> What are you wanting besides the pointers that Google provides?
>>
>> I'm not the OP, but I'd be interesting to know if anyone has
>> successfully used a fingerprint reader as a way to log in under Linux.
>> Now *that* would be cool!.
>
> Possibly, and also insecure. I read about someone who had managed to lift
> a fingerprint from a reader, make a rubber finger, and have the reader
> verify it. Using fingerprints for authentication is almost like writing
> your password on the keyboard.

I imagine for secure login you could design a system equiped with a spool
of very thin clear plastic running over the fingerprint reader, after
every login you would advance the spool and then destroy (incinerate..)
the plastic

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linux-compatible OEM fingerprint reader
    ... > I imagine for secure login you could design a system equiped with a spool ... > of very thin clear plastic running over the fingerprint reader, ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Linux-compatible OEM fingerprint reader
    ... > I imagine for secure login you could design a system equiped with a spool ... > of very thin clear plastic running over the fingerprint reader, ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: Linux-compatible OEM fingerprint reader
    ... > I imagine for secure login you could design a system equiped with a spool ... > of very thin clear plastic running over the fingerprint reader, ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Linux-compatible OEM fingerprint reader
    ... > I imagine for secure login you could design a system equiped with a spool ... > of very thin clear plastic running over the fingerprint reader, ...
    (comp.os.linux.embedded)
  • Re: One Little Thing
    ... You might think you could buy a USB fingerprint reader, ... but there's hardly any support for them in OS X *today*. ... Nobody can match Vista for general system instability, increased battery consumption on notebooks, high cost, high meory requirements and general "just doesn't work" performance. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)