Toshiba TE2300 under Linux?

From: Ross Maloney (R.Maloney_at_murdoch.edu.au)
Date: 12/05/03

Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 12:24:12 +0800

Has anybody had success in loading Linux onto a Toshiba Satellite Pro
TE2300 laptop?

The TE2300 appears to have different internals than others in the TE
range, particularly associated with the hard disk. I loaded Red Hat 9
and everything looked successful until I attempted to boot the new OS;
the hard disk could not be found. Which is interesting because the same
hard disk had been supplied with Windows XP loaded, and that worked
properly. I then attempted to reload Windows XP from the recovery CDs
provided onto that same hard disk. That also appeared to work
successfully. However GRUB appeared when I booted. When I repeated the
whole Linux/Windows cycle again, but this time using LIDO, LIDO appeared
when attempting to boot Windows XP. So it would appear that Linux has
written something horrible on the hard disk.

I think this is one of those cases of Linux having to catch up with
hardware advances. Does any body know of work proceeding in this
regard?

Ross