Toshiba TE2300 under Linux?

From: Ross Maloney (R.Maloney_at_murdoch.edu.au)
Date: 12/05/03

Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 12:24:12 +0800

Has anybody had success in loading Linux onto a Toshiba Satellite Pro
TE2300 laptop?

The TE2300 appears to have different internals than others in the TE
range, particularly associated with the hard disk. I loaded Red Hat 9
and everything looked successful until I attempted to boot the new OS;
the hard disk could not be found. Which is interesting because the same
hard disk had been supplied with Windows XP loaded, and that worked
properly. I then attempted to reload Windows XP from the recovery CDs
provided onto that same hard disk. That also appeared to work
successfully. However GRUB appeared when I booted. When I repeated the
whole Linux/Windows cycle again, but this time using LIDO, LIDO appeared
when attempting to boot Windows XP. So it would appear that Linux has
written something horrible on the hard disk.

I think this is one of those cases of Linux having to catch up with
hardware advances. Does any body know of work proceeding in this
regard?

Ross

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RAIDING different size drives
    ... In such cases, your data is safe on the disk, but the windows ... If you've got a second copy on an independent hard disk, ... You can also use a live Linux CD and access the files that way. ... This "operating system death" happened to me, twice, within a roughly 8-month period. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Getting Started in Linux - Newbie Questions.
    ... Any suggestions for a newbie like me as far as getting started in Linux and the fascinating world of operating systems that aren't Windows? ... You'd better find an old hard disk and install an user friendly linux distribution like MANDRIVA or Suse. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Backing up several Windows machines to a Linux server
    ... > user files on several Windows machines to the hard disk of a Linux ... > the server. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Advice request for new system planning
    ... I want to build a system that to run Linux (probably Ubuntu or Kubuntu, ... I wanted to put Windows and Linux on separate disks for the ... I used a floppy to boot early Debian on a second hard disk. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Recover broken SDHC card
    ... Tried the camera and three computers with linux, ... manufacturer (usually for Windows) but that's better than nothing;-( ... Some time ago I had a similar problem and I remember having tried a lot of recovering tools without success. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)