Re: Help! - VIA onboard LAN not working...

From: Tauno Voipio (tauno.voipio_at_iki.fi.NOSPAM.invalid)
Date: 12/06/03

Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 12:20:48 GMT

message news:<03pzb.321$Jp6.109@read3.inet.fi>...
> > "Adam" <adam_cheney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> -8<- snip ->8-
> > > Output (pertinent) of dmesg when I try to modprobe via-rhine:
> > > via-rhine.c:v1.10-LK1.1.16 February-15-2003 Written by Donald Becker
> > > http://www.scyld.com/network/via-rhine.html
> > > PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:12.0
> > > PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:0c.0
> > > PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:10.0
> > > PCI: Unable to reserve I/O region #1:100@ec00 for device 00:12.0
> > > PCI: Unable to reserve I/O region #1:100@ec00 for device 00:12.0
> > >

> > This seems to be a PCI problem - maybe some BIOS setting. The driver
does
> > not get access to the I/O region announced by the network adapter.
>
> Any idea what BIOS setting I could try?
>
> > The VT6103/VT6102 works with the via-rhine driver on an ASUS M600
> > motherboard.
>
> Well, it also works fine on this mobo with XP running. XP allocates
> different IRQs to each of the devices that are in conflict on Linux -
> LAN gets 23, SCSI 16, USB 21.
>
> Can I tell what else might be using that IO region?

The interrupts should not be a problem - Linux is able to handle shared PCI
interrupts.

The problem is in I/O addresses: looking at the logs and files in /proc may
give some hints. This seems to be a peculiarity of the hardware. If you can,
check the I/O addresses assigned by XP - I don't know XP to be able to help
here.

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi