Re: Help! - VIA onboard LAN not working...

From: Tauno Voipio (tauno.voipio_at_iki.fi.NOSPAM.invalid)
Date: 12/06/03

Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 12:20:48 GMT

message news:<03pzb.321$Jp6.109@read3.inet.fi>...
> > "Adam" <adam_cheney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> -8<- snip ->8-
> > > Output (pertinent) of dmesg when I try to modprobe via-rhine:
> > > via-rhine.c:v1.10-LK1.1.16 February-15-2003 Written by Donald Becker
> > > http://www.scyld.com/network/via-rhine.html
> > > PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:12.0
> > > PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:0c.0
> > > PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:10.0
> > > PCI: Unable to reserve I/O region #1:100@ec00 for device 00:12.0
> > > PCI: Unable to reserve I/O region #1:100@ec00 for device 00:12.0
> > >

> > This seems to be a PCI problem - maybe some BIOS setting. The driver
does
> > not get access to the I/O region announced by the network adapter.
>
> Any idea what BIOS setting I could try?
>
> > The VT6103/VT6102 works with the via-rhine driver on an ASUS M600
> > motherboard.
>
> Well, it also works fine on this mobo with XP running. XP allocates
> different IRQs to each of the devices that are in conflict on Linux -
> LAN gets 23, SCSI 16, USB 21.
>
> Can I tell what else might be using that IO region?

The interrupts should not be a problem - Linux is able to handle shared PCI
interrupts.

The problem is in I/O addresses: looking at the logs and files in /proc may
give some hints. This seems to be a peculiarity of the hardware. If you can,
check the I/O addresses assigned by XP - I don't know XP to be able to help
here.

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

Relevant Pages

  • Re: LINUX vs AIX
    ... t% Subject: Re: LINUX vs AIX ... For small and frequent file I/O you need to ... t%> spread the I/O accross as many drives as possible. ... A high ninety some thing percent of channel ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: Question on Queuing Disk I/O in Interrupt-driven System
    ... I had the thought that since interrupts seem to screw up disk I/O ... Kernel performs context switch into Proc B ...
    (comp.sys.apple2.programmer)
  • Re: Interrupt performance
    ... This software is optimized for linux and you have to optimize it for freebsd, then you will have the same overhead. ... All those *popular* benchmarks like hping, iperf, netperf have some strange optimizations for linux - we call them linuxism. ... - the statistics clock might be too synchronized with other interrupts. ...
    (freebsd-performance)
  • Re: Interrupt performance
    ... 1/ Sometimes BSD and Linux report things differently. ... But I see only 20% idle on FreeBSD and 80% idle on Linux. ... but it's a low-end NIC and those normally take a lot of CPU. ... - the statistics clock might be too synchronized with other interrupts. ...
    (freebsd-performance)
  • Re: What happened to computer architecture (and comp.arch?)
    ... The first bottleneck seems to be memory, ... 'Tain't just Linux. ... FreeBSD handles more interrupts than Linux, but seems odd in the balancing ... Or, more, precisely, gug, gug, gug :-( ...
    (comp.arch)