Re: Randomly Changing MAC Address

From: Phrederick (abuse_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 12/09/03

Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 22:22:07 GMT

> >> I'm hoping that the 'hardware' groups may be able to assist as I've
> >> had no answers from Networking groups.
> >>
> >> I use a mixture of Linux Mandrake, Win98, ME and XP. I have a wireless
> >> network with Netgear WG602 54mbps AP, Netgear WG602 54mbps PC card, a
> >> Linksys 11mbps USB adapter and a WiFi enabled handheld.
> >>
> >> I've got a strange problem with a constantly changing MAC address on
> >> my Netgear PC card.
> >
> >I'd hit the Linux support groups for this one... Most likely a
configuration
> >option.
>
> I did actually cross post to a Linux group as I find Linux users very
> technically minded.
>
> I don't think it is a configuration problem as I have tried the card
> in another machine with the same result.
>
> I understand MAC addresses can be spoofed but I don't think they can
> be physically changed.

Physically changed, no... The OS use a different MAC than the one on the
card, yes.

On a Windows XP machine, go into your LAN properties... into the NIC
configuration screen, to the Advanced tab. You'll usually see a "managed
address" or "network address" option here. This allows you to put any MAC
address you want and the OS will use it.

There are a big batch of ASUS mainboards that were sold with an SiS onboard
LAN chip. Every single one has the same MAC address. The only fix is to
alter the MAC in the network settings as above. I think the bad MAC ends in
55:66 .