Re: Randomly Changing MAC Address

From: Phrederick (abuse_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 12/09/03

Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 22:22:07 GMT

> >> I'm hoping that the 'hardware' groups may be able to assist as I've
> >> had no answers from Networking groups.
> >>
> >> I use a mixture of Linux Mandrake, Win98, ME and XP. I have a wireless
> >> network with Netgear WG602 54mbps AP, Netgear WG602 54mbps PC card, a
> >> Linksys 11mbps USB adapter and a WiFi enabled handheld.
> >>
> >> I've got a strange problem with a constantly changing MAC address on
> >> my Netgear PC card.
> >
> >I'd hit the Linux support groups for this one... Most likely a
configuration
> >option.
>
> I did actually cross post to a Linux group as I find Linux users very
> technically minded.
>
> I don't think it is a configuration problem as I have tried the card
> in another machine with the same result.
>
> I understand MAC addresses can be spoofed but I don't think they can
> be physically changed.

Physically changed, no... The OS use a different MAC than the one on the
card, yes.

On a Windows XP machine, go into your LAN properties... into the NIC
configuration screen, to the Advanced tab. You'll usually see a "managed
address" or "network address" option here. This allows you to put any MAC
address you want and the OS will use it.

There are a big batch of ASUS mainboards that were sold with an SiS onboard
LAN chip. Every single one has the same MAC address. The only fix is to
alter the MAC in the network settings as above. I think the bad MAC ends in
55:66 .

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Quad Core PC for less than a Mac Mini
    ... yet to prove that your configuration is better. ... Nobody in the Mac Mini's ... than a Dell with a similar configuration. ... The price delta is less now. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Some thoughts on mac vs win vs linux
    ... Mac OS X itself hard to figure out the configuration options? ... Linux in this regard, but more importantly, nor would I want it to (for ... given the choice, I'd prefer Expose. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Resetting Buffalo logins and password
    ... The console is the configuration page; ... I am using a wired connection for connnection. ... When I got the buffalo I ... randomly changed the mac address (I think I incremented the last digit ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Quad Core PC for less than a Mac Mini
    ... yet to prove that your configuration is better. ... Nobody in the Mac Mini's ... than a Dell with a similar configuration. ... The price delta is less now. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Iptables port 5353 -
    ... identify them by their mac addresses and that's the way they come up. ... Curiously in the router dhcp configuration I specified that the Mac ... fixed IP address after a system has a DHCP lease with a different IP ...
    (Fedora)