Re: SATA question

From: John-Paul Stewart (jpstewart_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: 12/13/03

Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:14:38 -0500

"Jim Shaffer, Jr." wrote:

> I keep seeing people say that kernel 2.4.22 supports SATA. I have it installed
> (Mandrake version -21) on an ASUS P4P800 and there's nothing in the boot
> messages to indicate that it's detected the SATA ports. I don't have any SATA

Does your kernel include the driver for your SATA chipset? If you
didn't build it in to the kernel, of course the SATA ports won't be
recognized. (If the driver was built as a module, loading it with
'modprobe' should get your SATA ports recognized.)

> drives installed yet -- do I need to have a drive connected for the port to be
> recognized?

Not likely. The normal IDE chipset in my server is recognized even
though no devices are attached to it. The driver should recognize the
chipset without a device. I'll say it again: the proper driver for
your SATA chipset must be available (built in or the module loaded) for
that to happen.

> Also, I have four IDE devices installed -- can anyone verify that
> the SATA ports are usable along with all four IDE devices in Linux?

I don't see why not. With add-in IDE cards you can have a lot more than
four IDE devices. SATA devices should be no different.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RedHat 10 wishlist
    ... But performance is not everything SATA ... the smaller form factor drives. ... > kernel, ... >> REdhat is to wrap more stuff into its coming workstation release that I ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Cargo Cult sysadmining
    ... No need for SATA, PCI, or cardbus ... I may recompile the kernel these days; ... Removing PATA "because I'll never use it" leads to you discovering ... throw ANY disks away. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Changes in SATA, IDE and ATAPI configuration
    ... At the risk of getting flamed for asking a basic question here, could I suggest that a kernel and/or driver developer provide a brief "how-to acticle" somehere that explains the way things have changed from the early 2.6.x days to more recent kernels like 2.6.14 or 2.6.15 with respect to configuring fundamental devices like IDE drives, SATA drives, and ATAPI drives. ... I have been struggling for about two weeks to move an image of an IDE OS Drive that's running a 2.6.14 kernel over to a SATA drive. ... When making fresh installs onto SATA drives, some distributions seem to load the AHCI module and some don't, on exactly the same hardware with the same kernel. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Treiber fuer SATA?
    ... wieder ein das SCSI den SCSIIDE Krieg gewonnen hat und habe AHCI ... Soweit moeglich alles im Kernel, ... SATA Festplatte ueber IDE->SATA konverter als IDE0/Master ... Platte nicht findet weil der Treiber die Hardware nicht findet. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Dell XPS gen 3 trouble
    ... > Dell XPS gen 3 at work, I finally got Debian booted and installed, ... I'm not a Dell expert, but I am using a SATA drive with my ... sata drives, in my understanding. ... I also didn't see what kernel version ...
    (Debian-User)