Re: Installing RH8.0 on a Compaq ML350 (LILO problem)

From: Dennis Peere (sycrontw_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 12/24/03

Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 14:33:38 +0100

Dear David,

I did perform /sbin/lilo afterwards :-)
I'm using LILO because I've never worked with GRUB before.
Is there anything else I can check ? Is there a way to install GRUB on this
system when booting from floppy ?
After "googling" for several hours I found alot of information of problems
with LILO and RAID systems....
I do have a manually installed system with the same configuration that works
fine so I can compare files.
I must be missing something when performing the kickstart installation :-(

Regards,

Dennis

"David Bolton" <angoraspruce@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello Dennis,
>
> Getting the first 'L' means that:
> "The first stage boot loader has been loaded and started, but it can't
load the
> second stage boot loader. The two-digit error codes indicate the type of
> problem. (See also section ``Disk error codes''.) This condition usually
> indicates a media failure or a geometry mismatch (e.g. bad disk
parameters)."

> This is from 'http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/a1483.html', which
> explains the error messages thrown by LILO.
>
> My guess is that LILO can't find '/boot', which means, assuming your setup
> below is kosher, that you have a config problem. (And you did rerun
> '/sbin/lilo' after making your changes, right?)
>
> One question, 'though, is there a reason for using LILO when RH's default
boot
> loader is GRUB? I'm only asking because I use both, and find GRUB better
> documented and easier to use. If you find LILO too much of a pain to
> configure....
>
> Best regards,
> David
>
> Dennis Peere <sycrontw@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear,
> >
> > I'm trying to perform an unattended (harddrive kickstart) RedHat 8.0
> > (2.4.18-14) installation on a Compaq ML350 server with a HP Smart Array
641
> > controller.
> > I've got 3 SCSI disks and the first I've made the following setup =>
Disk 1&