Re: best AMD motherboard for Linux

From: Thomas Zajic (zlatko_at_gmx.at)
Date: 01/02/04

Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 11:55:27 +0100

* Eugene <spamacct11@yahoo>:

> I am planning to buy AMD Athlon system and I am wondering which
> motherboard/chipset works better with Linux -- NVidia nForce 2 or VIA
> KT600. I have read mixed reviews of both. Specifically, I am looking at
> [...]
> I know nForce requires you to download and compile additional drivers. This
> is somewhat annoying but since I am also planning to get an nVidia graphics
> card (it seems to be better supported than ATI), it doesn't make much of a
> difference -- I'll end up having to install drivers for GeForce separately
> anyway.

You only need additional drivers if you want to use the onboard sound
and/or network card. I bought an Epox-8RDA3i recently (my old KT266A
based Epox-8KHA+ went south), and I've head zero problems with it so
far. Just for the record, the onboard NIC works fine with nVidia's
nForce drivers, and the onboard sound (C-Media CMI9739) works fine
with all of nVidia's nForce drivers, C-Media's own cmaudio driver,
the standard kernel i810_audio driver, and the ALSA intel-8x0 driver.

Thomas

--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-   Thomas "ZlatkO" Zajic   <zlatko@gmx.at>   Linux-2.4.23/slrn-0.9.8.0   -

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Installing XP Pro sp2 - setup cannot copy file nvatabus.sys
    ... So normally there is no reason to hit F6 or to integrate the nForce SATA drivers as TEXTMODE drivers. ... Have a look into your mainboard manual, if you have to enable SATA and RAID within your BIOS, even when you have not built a RAID array. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How do you install mobo drivers?
    ... So I downloaded them and installed them but after I rebooted I noticed that the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon was in the sys tray. ... I ended up using System Restore to get things back to normal but I would like to know how to install these drivers properly so I can keep my PC up to date. ... Samsung 500GB HD501LJ Spinpoint Sata II ... If they don't appear there with your older nForce drivers, THAT would be the mystery that needs explaining. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Ethernet appears to be connected but actually isnt
    ... Installed latest nVidia nForce 2 drivers which are required for ethernet ... A single network connection appears ... I tried both with and without Windows Firewall enabled. ... Your nVidia nForce 2 has its own firewall ... ...
  • Re: Nvidia NIC and SUSE 9.0
    ... > I can't seem to get they onboard NIC with the Nvidia Nforce2 chipset ... need to flash your BIOS and then try and load the Nforce drivers. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)