Re: looking for a cheap soundcard that works under RH9

From: Jules Dubois (yet-another_at_no-domain.cn)
Date: 01/03/04

Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 16:05:32 -0700

On 1 Jan 2004 19:05:58 -0500, in article
<news:bt2cl6$6k3$1@panix2.panix.com>, Dan Hitt wrote:

> To clarify a point here (about which i think i might get a different
> idea from Jules?),

Different, perhaps, but not necessarily correct.

> a USB sound box [...]

Oh. I wondered why you were asking about USB hubs... but you weren't.

> is a separate unit in a separate
> enclosure with a separate power supply and separate everything else
> except that it connects to your computer over a USB cable, and you
> play sound by sending USB packets from your computer, out over the
> cable, to this separate box a few feet away?

That's my understanding of USB sound.

> If this is the case, it would seem that it would be bound to generate
> much, much better sound because it would be shielded from all of the noisy
> digital signals in your computer.

I think the idea of transmitting digital signals out of the RFI soup inside
the computer case is appealing, at least in principle. I also think that
given the uses most people have for the computer's sound, it's irrelevant.
To produce (this kind of) audio, there must be a D/A stage somewhere, and
its quality may (or may not) have the greatest effect on sound quality.

My problem with bargain-basement analog sound was exactly the effect you
describe, where the sound card acted as an antenna. There's no guarantee
that a USB box (with its digital input) will produce better sound than a
properly-designed, conventional sound card (with its analog output).

> But you would have to have software on your computer to
> play the box.

Yes, although the same could be said for conventional sound cards. A few
years ago, when I first heard of USB audio, it had the significant
disadvantage (under Windows) of using in excess of 50% of the CPU.

--
"[O]bviously Linux owes its heritage to Unix, but not its code.
 We would not, nor will not, make such a claim."

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Upgrading from Onboard Sound to Sound Card
    ... program called Cakewalk on an E510 with integrated sound. ... Creative also makes an external USB "sound card". ... I've seen some external USB sound cards for the first time today. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Impulsmessger=E4t?=
    ... nur einige USB Port, LAN, Modem Port und eben den Sound Port. ... USB hat zuviel Latenzfehler. ... Fuer die Sound Card gibt es fertige Software. ... ich habe so eine Aufgabenstellung schon mit Sound Card erledigt. ...
    (de.sci.electronics)
  • Re: New to xp user did own install, Im delighted!
    ... When I want "blow me away" sound, I output to/use the stereo, 200watts rms ... > It is time to change the sound card to audigy series. ... > usb digital camera ... Finally got brave enough to boot XP Pro and install to second ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Upgrading from Onboard Sound to Sound Card
    ... program called Cakewalk on an E510 with integrated sound. ... Creative also makes an external USB "sound card". ... I've seen some external USB sound cards for the first time today. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Using Media Center with an external soundcard does not work
    ... I have an external guitar multi-effects box which connects via usb. ... The effects box functions as an external sound card using asio drivers. ... Unofrtunately XP Media Center does not support this. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)