Re: CDRECORD errors with "fancy formatted" text files

From: stu7 (stuseven_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 01/08/04

Date: 7 Jan 2004 16:18:20 -0800

Dances With Crows <danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@usa.net> wrote in message

> Why did all the lines you wrote have "***" prepended?
*** Because I'm a three star general ? I dunno... why do you call
*** yourself a crow ? :)

> Yes. You typically do something like this:
*** I know about typically_ I've used cdrecord for several years.

> So what happens when you try to mount the disc? What do "cdrecord
> -msinfo" and "cdrecord -toc" say about the disc?
*** the disk I get, after a session with errors, cant be mounted
*** on my system... it just tries to spin up several times, and then
*** exits with more error messages.
***
*** I later found out, it actually IS possible to burn these files
*** onto the same CD, but only in separate image files. Doing that,
*** I get two tracks, both shown with the -toc command, but only
*** the first track is ever visible when the CD is mounted. I tried
*** both image files as the first track, and then as the second track...
*** in either case, only the first can be accessed directly.
***
*** so... as I commented... the files are always getting burned...
*** but in one case, the CD isnt useable, and in the other case,
*** one directory of files cant be read :)

> error messages reported by cdrecord
*** the errors dont say anything about this specific problem.
*** As I said, I get: seek error /and/ no media found error...
*** several other common errors, but for no ordinary reason.

> > nope... its just a problem with these FILES...
> Huh? cdrecord burns ISO filesystem images, not individual files.
*** right again... but guess what... my version of CDRECORD chokes
*** on this kind of file... it doesnt matter if they are read from a
*** directory, as sym links, or --> are in an image file <--
*** if these files are mixed in, cdrecord barfs.. thats it,
*** pure and simple. I know this is not ordinary.
***
*** Its a conflict in cdrecord... I have the CDs to prove it...
*** I can burn this little 8MB directory of files all day long...
*** but when I mix it with other file types the burn ALWAYS fails.
***
*** Thank you for your help. You know a lot about cdrecord...
*** but obviously you have never seen this particular problem
*** before... I certainly hadn't.
***
*** I need to tell the CDRECORD authors about it... they may
*** have fixed it in some later version.

Relevant Pages

  • lite-on burner, suse 8.2
    ... I've tried to burn cd's under SuSE 8.2 pro several times with my lite-on ... cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version ... Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Possible to burn CD that is readable on both Windows & Solaris?
    ... >>>I would like to burn some data CDs that will be readable on both Windows ... > Does that cdrecord command like look correct? ... Schillin ... Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Trick to burning a bootable Debian CD?
    ... >> Are there any freeware utilities to burn an ISO image to CD (e.g., ... contain Freedos or even the first part of a Windows installer. ... all you need to do is download the images and burn them to CD. ... This can be done in the same run of cdrecord as you ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: gtoaster problem
    ... > If you burn files, on Track you should have only Gnometoaster ... cdrecord -v dev=1,0,0 datacd.raw ... Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... ... Sense Key: ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: latest cdrecord problem status
    ... > burn away, or b) boot into an earlier kernel. ... > Here's a trick I've used to help teach myself the necessary cdrecord ... installing, or **not** installing the ide-scsi module. ...
    (Fedora)