Re: RH7.2 Troubles Installing BroadCom BCM5700 NetXtreme on HP D530

From: Richard Steven Hack (richardhack_at_prontomail.com)
Date: 01/18/04

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 03:22:11 GMT

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:46:37 -0500, John-Paul Stewart
<jpstewart@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Broadcom did have some problems with their early GiGE NICs, true, but
>they seem to be cleared up. I'm running a trio of (Dell) servers each
>with dual Broadcom NICs. I've had no problems with the tg3 driver in
>current kernels. Admittedly, my systems are under fairly light load.
>
>(Aside: Early Broadcom GigE NICs had serious problems at the *hardware*
>level. It was not an issue with the Linux driver. Sun recalled their
>Sun Fire V240 servers because of it. For a while Dell was shipping a
>dual port Intel PCI card and disabling the on-board dual Broadcoms on
>some of their machines. The Broadcom NICs weren't working right in any
>O/S. Broadcom and the system manufacturers seem to have fixed the
>problems now, though.)

Thanks for the update. I'll remember that when I eventually try to
use my Broadcom integrated NIC on my machine! I'm using a D-Link NIC
for my DSL, so I haven't had to use the Broadcom one. After I read
that rant on Broadcom on the Net, I started to get concerned I might
have to disable the integrated NIC and buy another card (not that that
would be a biggie expense or anything - I'd just have to make sure the
thing was supported under Linux, is all.)

--
Richard Steven Hack
"Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger" -

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SBS2003 R2 After ISA2004 Installed Intranet web sites fail
    ... My test system did not ohave TOE just on single on board Broadcom. ... The NICs are broken. ... It doesn't matter what you do with or without ISA, ... systems and install good old 3com cards and everything works like a dream. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Intermittent DNS - timeouts
    ... Don't put this out of your mind completely, Vijay - you may yet experience some issues. ... If you're satisifed with the way things are working now that's great, but keep checking for updates from either Dell or Broadcom. ... The NIC firmware is in fact broken - there is no way the end user can fix it, allthough some relief is possible depending on exactly how the NICs are being used. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • BSOD on Windows Server 2008 Standard
    ... The server has the following roles: ... It has three NICs, ... the only difference between the two BSODs is the address. ... the windows native drivers for the Broadcom and Intel NICs. ...
  • Re: Dell PE2900 and Broadcom NICs
    ... double strikes with both VS and ISA - neither will work - and that is confirmed with Broadcom NIC support as I had them duplicate the issues. ... You could threaten to send the servers back, see if that moves Dell to provide replacements. ... They'll ship the NICs for a long time, as they're embedded on the motherboard. ... If you can't persuade Dell to provide replacements, bite the bullet - it's the only way out at present. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Mystery
    ... I'm not really surprised with wonky behavior of a Broadcom ... card but the fact that 2 Intel NICs are misbehaving as well makes me very ... In my 20+ years in working with servers I have never come across ... try to get a DHCP address? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)