Re: RH7.2 Troubles Installing BroadCom BCM5700 NetXtreme on HP D530

From: Richard Steven Hack (richardhack_at_prontomail.com)
Date: 01/18/04

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 03:22:11 GMT

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:46:37 -0500, John-Paul Stewart
<jpstewart@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Broadcom did have some problems with their early GiGE NICs, true, but
>they seem to be cleared up. I'm running a trio of (Dell) servers each
>with dual Broadcom NICs. I've had no problems with the tg3 driver in
>current kernels. Admittedly, my systems are under fairly light load.
>
>(Aside: Early Broadcom GigE NICs had serious problems at the *hardware*
>level. It was not an issue with the Linux driver. Sun recalled their
>Sun Fire V240 servers because of it. For a while Dell was shipping a
>dual port Intel PCI card and disabling the on-board dual Broadcoms on
>some of their machines. The Broadcom NICs weren't working right in any
>O/S. Broadcom and the system manufacturers seem to have fixed the
>problems now, though.)

Thanks for the update. I'll remember that when I eventually try to
use my Broadcom integrated NIC on my machine! I'm using a D-Link NIC
for my DSL, so I haven't had to use the Broadcom one. After I read
that rant on Broadcom on the Net, I started to get concerned I might
have to disable the integrated NIC and buy another card (not that that
would be a biggie expense or anything - I'd just have to make sure the
thing was supported under Linux, is all.)

--
Richard Steven Hack
"Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger" -