Re: Installing ATI Radeon video drivers on Redhat Advanced Server

linuxquestion_at_yahoo.com
Date: 01/31/04

Date: 30 Jan 2004 21:30:08 -0800

Ok, I finally got some graphics with Redhat Advanced Server 2.1
and my ATI radeon 9000.

I'm not exactly sure what I did. But I will post the
results here, just in case some other poor soul finds
hours and hours of their time being mercilessly
sucked away.

I'm not sure if some of these things are relevant,
but I will list them anyway.

First, I upgraded the kernel to 2.4.20-18.10.1. I
needed to do this in install some other software.

Then, I tried to upgrade Xfree86 to 4.3. But, I
couldn't get an rpm file, or it installed.
See my other post:
Source files compiled. Why no loadable module?

--------

An important point is that I did NOT install the
flgrx driver from ATI.

--------

I tried startx:

Fatal server error:
no screens found

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Then, I tried:

/usr/X11R6/bin/Xconfigurator

And tried: ATI Generic Radeon card.
(I'm pretty sure this is the one. I'm scared to
experiment, and screw this up, after so many days
of struggle.)

It had some problems probing. But X comes up!
I config it to start x next time I boot.

I rebooted, and it worked.

Finally!

-------------

lsmod

Module Size Used by Not tainted

nls_cp437 5152 1 (autoclean)
vfat 12764 1 (autoclean)
fat 38072 0 (autoclean) [vfat]
nls_iso8859-1 3520 1 (autoclean)
sr_mod 17208 0 (autoclean)
i810_audio 26496 0 (autoclean)
ac97_codec 15552 0 (autoclean) [i810_audio]
soundcore 6884 2 (autoclean) [i810_audio]
radeon 118520 0
autofs 12068 0 (autoclean) (unused)
e100 52516 1
ide-scsi 11840 0