CD-RW power calibration?

From: Charles Sullivan (cwsulliv_at_triad.rr.com)
Date: 03/30/04

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 22:58:05 GMT

I just replaced my old slow Plextor 8-4-32 CD-RW with a (fairly
inexpensive) Optorite 52-32-52 CD-RW.

On the first burn, 'cdrecord' reported that power calibration is not
supported for this drive (the Plextor always did a power calibration). But
the burns with the Optorite have thusfar seemed successful.

Question: Has power calibration gone by the wayside for newer CD-RW
drives? Or is it just that this is a cheap drive? Or is it likely there
is a software/hardware problem with this drive?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
Charles Sullivan

Relevant Pages

  • Do CD-RWs still do power calibration?
    ... I just replaced my old slow Plextor 8-4-32 CD-RW with a (fairly ... On the first burn, 'cdrecord' reported that power calibration is not ... supported for this drive (the Plextor always did a power calibration). ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Do CD-RWs still do power calibration?
    ... I just replaced my old slow Plextor 8-4-32 CD-RW with a (fairly ... On the first burn, 'cdrecord' reported that power calibration is not ... supported for this drive (the Plextor always did a power calibration). ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • CD-RW drive will only recognise CD-R as CD-RW
    ... Optical Drive GENERIC CRD-BP1700P (40x/12x/40x CD-RW) ... I assume this is because the disc is showing up as a RW disc. ... However, when I place the same CD-R into the DVD-RW drive, its icon changes ... Jukebox reported that no CD/DVD drives had been detected and so I had to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: CD-RW drive will only recognise CD-R as CD-RW
    ... it should be but it just dawned on me that one of your burner sis also ... Some third party software as well as some drives don't always ... >>> the drive changes from CD-RW drive to a large disc icon with a CD-RW ... I assume this is because the disc is showing up as a RW disc. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: CD-RW - Need help; basic question.
    ... Certainly DVD-RW drives have dropped in price to become very affordable. ... I lived through the era of early CD-R and CD-RW drives, media, AND, most ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)