Re: DMA errors on SATA drive in Gentoo 2004.0 using VT8237 chipset

From: Rod Smith (rodsmith_at_nessus.rodsbooks.com)
Date: 04/26/04

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:52:27 -0400

In article <k5djc.744$cc3.482@pathologist.blueyonder.net>,
        Darkinnit <dislashdot@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Me? I'm gonna go for Solution 4:
> Using Knoppix 3.4 c't Edition to install Gentoo using these instructions:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml
>
> And hopefully the latest gentoo kernel will support sata on my
> motherboard. I can just keep trying/wait for different kernels till it
> does.

I don't think the problem is with the presence of SATA support per se; I
think it's that there are *TWO* drivers for your hardware, and they're
stepping on each other. As I posted in my first reply, when you build
your kernel, completely omit one set of drivers. (If you omit the ATA
drivers, though, you won't be able to access any parallel ATA devices you
may have, like CD-ROMs. Thus, it's probably safest to use the ATA drivers
and omit the libata drivers.)

--
Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
http://www.rodsbooks.com