Re: DMA errors on SATA drive in Gentoo 2004.0 using VT8237 chipset

From: Rod Smith (rodsmith_at_nessus.rodsbooks.com)
Date: 04/26/04

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:52:27 -0400

In article <k5djc.744$cc3.482@pathologist.blueyonder.net>,
        Darkinnit <dislashdot@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Me? I'm gonna go for Solution 4:
> Using Knoppix 3.4 c't Edition to install Gentoo using these instructions:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml
>
> And hopefully the latest gentoo kernel will support sata on my
> motherboard. I can just keep trying/wait for different kernels till it
> does.

I don't think the problem is with the presence of SATA support per se; I
think it's that there are *TWO* drivers for your hardware, and they're
stepping on each other. As I posted in my first reply, when you build
your kernel, completely omit one set of drivers. (If you omit the ATA
drivers, though, you won't be able to access any parallel ATA devices you
may have, like CD-ROMs. Thus, it's probably safest to use the ATA drivers
and omit the libata drivers.)

--
Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
http://www.rodsbooks.com

  • Ultra ATA problems
    ... My mainboard is Abit IC7-Max3 and I've used a IDE ATA 133- ... In the bios settings, all vital settings are set to auto ... I've used the native XP drivers and then the drives on ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev)
  • Re: (es)ata drives may need an explicit spinup command?
    ... And now I came across this patch for the linux ata driver: ... The problem is that we have no idea when to use this command after drive was successfully working. ... Could you boot with new CAM drivers and kernel verbose messages enabled? ... I am interested of what exactly happens on logs/console when drive dies and how it reacts on `camcontrol reset X` and `camcontrol rescan X` commands. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: OOIDAs take on the "texting law
    ... company to monitor it's drivers " back in tha day " ... ... Am I wrong in my belief that tachographs were about efficiency of ... Yeah I know. ... As far as the ATA and the drivers go they tried this several years ago ...
    (misc.transport.trucking)
  • Ultra ATA problem!
    ... My mainboard is Abit IC7-Max3 and I've used a IDE ATA 133- ... In the bios settings, all vital settings are set to auto ... I've used the native XP drivers and then the drives on ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)