Server harddisk

From: Christian Christmann (plfriko_at_yahoo.de)
Date: 04/29/04

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:20:22 +0200

Hi,

in the next days I want to install a Linux server.
This server should run 24/7. One question about
harddisks:
Somebody told me that S-ATA HD are not suitable
for a server because they are not supposed to
be run 24h every day. Instead this person
recommended me to use SCSI HDs which are more
reliable in this case. Is this true?
Or shouldn't I worry about using S-ATA harddisks
for my server?

Thank you for your answer.

Chris

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Leaving a server on all day
    ... >> I have my desktop configured to run as a server and app server for a thin ... So don't tap into the trap that SCSI disks are more reliable! ... > - Leaving it on all day will not kill your harddisks, ... >> To unsubscribe, send any mail to ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Soundproofing an enclosure
    ... the cost of cooling 3.5" harddisks makes 2.5" enterprise ... My home server is an EPIA Mini-ITX low power fanless board running at ... I moved from a 3.5 disk drawing about 10W and very noisy to a ... Now it's quite cool on entirely passive cooling. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Leaving a server on all day
    ... > I have my desktop configured to run as a server and app server for a thin ... These workstations are shut down and rebooted ... Leaving it on all day will not kill your harddisks, ... look for a good fan. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Leaving a server on all day
    ... I also have an always-on "headless" server running for like 3 years now ... apache, samba, vpn, postfix (the "usual" server apps). ... > At work I have seen three IDE harddisks decease on workstations during ... >> To unsubscribe, send any mail to ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • HDDs are not detecting while installing Smart Array Controller (HP Prolaint Xeon Server)
    ... I have a HP Proliant 370 ML Xeon server. ... I have attached 5 SCSI harddisks with it. ... How to detect harddisk while installing Raid Array Controller? ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)