Re: New Dell Dimension 4600 and Linux

From: Axel Burwitz (axel.burwitz_at_t-online.de)
Date: 05/09/04

Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 14:45:53 +0000

Hi Peter,

I have a Dell 8300 with Linux running smoothly on it, but:
to my experience the critical point is the S-ATA disk, as most distros that
I have tried or checked for info (SuSe 9.0, fedora core 1, Debian testing)
could not install and run on S-ATA. And additional is, that Kernel 2.6 is
mandatory.
The only one that worked perfectly from start on is Gentoo !

so - again at least to my personal experience - you can try with newer
distros as SusE 9.1 or Mandrake 10, but you have to adapt kernel options in
Kernel 2.6. Even in Gentoo you will have to adapt kernel options.

A bit work is to get the ATI Radeon working with the ATI drivers, fglrx, and
3D acceleration..

BTW, I am very satisfied with my Dell, and can recommend that brand.

Best regards

Axel

Peter Stoss wrote:

> Hello!
> I want to buy a new Dell Dimension 4600. Are there any experiences? I
> want to install SuSE oder Mandrake for this workstation with the
> following hardware-components:
>
> IntelŪ 865PE Chipset for IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 533/800 MHz PSB
> Intel Pro 10/100 Ethernet Networkchip RJ45
> Dual Channel DDR333/400 RAM technology
> Audio-Out and 2x USB 2.0 frontside
> 6x USB 2.0 interfaces backside
> 8x AGP High-Speed
> Ultra ATA-100 & Serial-ATA Controller
>
> IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Prozessor 3.20 GHz with HT-Tech. and 800 MHz FSB
> 1024 MB Dual Channel DDR 400 [2 x 512MB DIMM]
> 250 GB Serial-ATA Harddisk, 7200 rpm with 8 MB DataBurst Cache
> 128 MB ATI Radeon 9800 PRO - 8x AGP Graphic (DVI & TV-Out)
> Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy2 with IEEE1394 Anschluss (OEM
> Version)
>
> Is someone using this system. Work all components fine with Linux
> (want to use Mandrake oder SuSE).
>
> Thanks
> Peter

Relevant Pages

  • Re: basic choices for new hardware
    ... >]> will be Suse 10, ... But, publisher sends big acrobat. ... She's just about accepting a Linux box, ... As far as my experience goes, Dell mostly is OK unless you want fancy ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: basic choices for new hardware
    ... ]> will be Suse 10, ... Publisher uses acrobat, and markup system. ... As far as my experience goes, Dell mostly is OK unless you want fancy ... Emery Davis ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Hardware woes - Cry for help from a Linux noob !
    ... Well, if its any consolation, I too have a Dell: XPS Gen2, 3.0 GHz, 1 GB ... Moreover, other distros also installed ... Dell with Linux in mind. ... both SUSE and Mandrake won't work with the Raid controller. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Hardware woes - Cry for help from a Linux noob !
    ... Well, if its any consolation, I too have a Dell: XPS Gen2, 3.0 GHz, 1 GB ... Moreover, other distros also installed ... Dell with Linux in mind. ... both SUSE and Mandrake won't work with the Raid controller. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Advice on laptop
    ... I have been using open suse 10.0 for the last 2 month. ... Dell have a pretty good name for laptops, but it's worth doing a search on ... Windows partition. ... Install windoze in the first partion. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)