Re: question with redboot

From: Steve Watt (steve_at_nospam.Watt.COM)
Date: 06/02/04

Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:57:45 GMT

In article <c9jf2h$j67$1@news.ust.hk>, eric <ericlist@hotmail.com> wrote:
[ top-post repaired ]
>"Steve Watt" <steve@nospam.Watt.COM> wrote in message
>> In article <c9hc5n$mq1$1@news.ust.hk>, eric <ericlist@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >I'm now porting the redboot from a EVM board to my target board. However,
>> >I've changed the flash and it seems doesn't work with my old redboot
>> >configuration. I can only see the target board send some rubbish out from
>> >the serial port. I don't know what to do next. I'm actually loading the
>> >redboot thru a JTAG. In normal case, how does people solve this problem
>> >since it is tedious to trace the assembly from my windows based debugger?
>>
>> Probably a baud rate problem. Try various settings; 115k is now common,
>> as are 57600 and 9600.
>>
>> If fiddling around with the settings in your terminal program doesn't
>> reveal anything, it's possible the serial port init is busted for
>> your board, and you get to debug that.
>
>Sorry, I did not describe the problem very clear. In fact, I know it is the
>flash problem because I can actually boot up the board when I remove the
>configuration of the flash I am using. When I just add the configuration of
>my flash, the output skew up and I don't know how to debug it. Do you know
>how can I check the problem in this stage?

I don't know what you mean by "remove the configuration of the flash".
Does that mean that you're restoring the old version of RedBoot? If so,
it *still* sounds like a baud rate problem, since you probably have a
different number compiled in. Or if you're restoring the RedBoot
configuration partition, the one you program in isn't set up correctly
for the RedBoot you're building.

If it's truly a problem with the flash load, I would be extremely
surprised to see any noise at all out the serial port, as such
fundamental problems tend to lock the processor up immediately.

--
Steve Watt KD6GGD  PP-ASEL-IA          ICBM: 121W 56' 57.8" / 37N 20' 14.9"
 Internet: steve @ Watt.COM                         Whois: SW32