Re: question with redboot

From: Steve Watt (steve_at_nospam.Watt.COM)
Date: 06/02/04

Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:57:45 GMT

In article <c9jf2h$j67$1@news.ust.hk>, eric <ericlist@hotmail.com> wrote:
[ top-post repaired ]
>"Steve Watt" <steve@nospam.Watt.COM> wrote in message
>> In article <c9hc5n$mq1$1@news.ust.hk>, eric <ericlist@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >I'm now porting the redboot from a EVM board to my target board. However,
>> >I've changed the flash and it seems doesn't work with my old redboot
>> >configuration. I can only see the target board send some rubbish out from
>> >the serial port. I don't know what to do next. I'm actually loading the
>> >redboot thru a JTAG. In normal case, how does people solve this problem
>> >since it is tedious to trace the assembly from my windows based debugger?
>>
>> Probably a baud rate problem. Try various settings; 115k is now common,
>> as are 57600 and 9600.
>>
>> If fiddling around with the settings in your terminal program doesn't
>> reveal anything, it's possible the serial port init is busted for
>> your board, and you get to debug that.
>
>Sorry, I did not describe the problem very clear. In fact, I know it is the
>flash problem because I can actually boot up the board when I remove the
>configuration of the flash I am using. When I just add the configuration of
>my flash, the output skew up and I don't know how to debug it. Do you know
>how can I check the problem in this stage?

I don't know what you mean by "remove the configuration of the flash".
Does that mean that you're restoring the old version of RedBoot? If so,
it *still* sounds like a baud rate problem, since you probably have a
different number compiled in. Or if you're restoring the RedBoot
configuration partition, the one you program in isn't set up correctly
for the RedBoot you're building.

If it's truly a problem with the flash load, I would be extremely
surprised to see any noise at all out the serial port, as such
fundamental problems tend to lock the processor up immediately.

--
Steve Watt KD6GGD  PP-ASEL-IA          ICBM: 121W 56' 57.8" / 37N 20' 14.9"
 Internet: steve @ Watt.COM                         Whois: SW32

Relevant Pages

  • Re: question with redboot
    ... >> If fiddling around with the settings in your terminal program doesn't ... >configuration of the flash I am using. ... surprised to see any noise at all out the serial port, ...
    (comp.os.linux.embedded)
  • Re: question with redboot
    ... >> If fiddling around with the settings in your terminal program doesn't ... >configuration of the flash I am using. ... surprised to see any noise at all out the serial port, ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Spartan 3 Configuration Questions
    ... the Flash and send the configuration bit stream to the FPGA. ... (I've considered using the FPGA Master Serial mode to clock the SPI ... so I'm trying to use a .bin file. ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: Advice please: NAS for home use?
    ... have to install and configure the SAMBA components off your own bat ... If you do that, though, the Flash becomes asingle ... If you want the OS to use flash media as the boot disk, it needs to be optimised to avoid premature wear on the storage cells by moving the scratch files to normal magnetic media. ... As regards this 'single point of failure', with FreeNAS it's not a serious issue provided you've got a configuration backup file that's still current. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Spartan 3 Configuration Questions
    ... I'm storing the configuration file in SPI Flash and using a uP to ... (I've considered using the FPGA Master Serial mode to clock the SPI ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)