Re: Sound quits working 2.4 and 2.6 kernels

From: david walcroft (reddwarf_at_invalid.com)
Date: 06/19/04

Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 06:21:17 GMT

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> From time to time sound stop working on a system, as if a MUTE had been
> selected. This usually happens when an audio program fails in some way.
>
> I've checked with several mixers to see if MUTE is set, it seems not to
> be. I've used lsof to check for something locking a device. The failure
> is persistent, indicating that something with state has been set and
> reboot doesn't change it. I have run find as root from / looking for
> recently changed files (-cmin -5) without finding anything unexpected.
>
> In some cases all sounds stops working, in others mplayer works but xmms
> and mpg123 fail. Sometimes Realplayer stops working.
>
> Systems include RH7.3, 9.0, RHEL 3.0, Slackware 8, and FC1, so it's some
> common odd behaviour. Some systems have OSS and some ALSA. The HOWTO
> docs I used to set up system years ago seem not to have been updated
> since then, and don't seem to cover this in any case.
>
> Can someone give me a clue, it's beyond annoying not to be able to get
> these systems working again!

Bill,
      Not being an expert I can only offer my impressions of your
problem, Is it possible 'the troubles' started about the same time or
similarities in hardware(ageing) or server connection (rogue s/ware)
Maybe you will need to doc. when a problem starts/finish on a machine/s
to find a pattern as the obvious is not always the cause.

HTH david

Relevant Pages

  • Sound quits working 2.4 and 2.6 kernels
    ... From time to time sound stop working on a system, as if a MUTE had been ... This usually happens when an audio program fails in some way. ... In some cases all sounds stops working, in others mplayer works but xmms ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Sound quits working 2.4 and 2.6 kernels
    ... From time to time sound stop working on a system, as if a MUTE had been ... This usually happens when an audio program fails in some way. ... In some cases all sounds stops working, in others mplayer works but xmms ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Sound stops working
    ... From time to time sound stop working on a system, as if a MUTE had been ... This usually happens when an audio program fails in some way. ... In some cases all sounds stops working, in others mplayer works but xmms ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Sound quits working 2.4 and 2.6 kernels
    ... > From time to time sound stop working on a system, as if a MUTE had been ... This usually happens when an audio program fails in some way. ... Sometimes Realplayer stops working. ... when a problem starts/finish on a machine/s ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)