how to suspend+resume arima/emachine/targa athlon64 laptop

From: Mikael Pettersson (mikpe_at_harpo.csd.uu.se)
Date: 06/26/04

    Date: 26 Jun 2004 17:23:31 +0100

    I got a Targa Visionary Athlon64 laptop, which has the
    same Arima mainboard as those emachine M680x laptops.

    My problem is that I can't wake the machine up from
    ACPI S3 suspend (echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep).
    When opending the lid nothing at all happens. If I
    touch the space bar then the machine appears to start
    resuming (power on, disk spins up), but nothing further
    happens. The NIC is still down, and keyboard commands
    (typed blind) don't do anything.
    This is with a 2.6.7 kernel with minimal .config
    (full ACPI, VIA IDE, keyboard, ext2, not much else).

    APM suspend and standy don't work either.

    What puzzles me is that WinXP suspends and resumes
    just fine when closing/opening the lid, and it does
    this without any mobo-specific drivers, just XP SP1,
    VIA's 4in1 chipset driver, and AMD's Athlon64 powernow.

    Any ideas? A laptop w/o suspend is pretty useless...

    --
    Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
    Computing Science Department, Uppsala University