HP ze4805us Notebook Hardware Questions

From: neo88 (solo88_at_truevine.net)
Date: 07/12/04

Date: 12 Jul 2004 13:42:48 -0700

Hi guys
I am not a newcomer to Linux, but I am a first-time laptop buyer. I
will probably be purchasing the HP Pavilion ze4805us Notebook. It
sports a AMD Athlon XP-M processor, at 2.133 Ghz, and a ATI Mobility
Pro Graphics card (64 MB shared). I just wanted to know if that sounds
ok to run Linux on. Haven't decided which distro yet. I currently run
Mandrake 9.x on my Desktop. The HP laptop offers ATI, who's drivers
are open source, which is a must for me, and I'm a big fan of AMD.
However, I also wondered if Linux would be able to run well off of an
XP-M processer?
Are there better laptop solutions out there? I hear that Laptops and
Linux can be a bit of a sticky issue.... BTW, the retailers don't make
it easy for you either, you HAVE to buy the computer with Windows on
it!!!!!! Argh, what is the world coming to??????? :( Oh well. :)

May the Source be with you.
neo88 (Philip Haddad)