HP ze4805us Notebook Hardware Questions

From: neo88 (solo88_at_truevine.net)
Date: 07/12/04

Date: 12 Jul 2004 13:42:48 -0700

Hi guys
I am not a newcomer to Linux, but I am a first-time laptop buyer. I
will probably be purchasing the HP Pavilion ze4805us Notebook. It
sports a AMD Athlon XP-M processor, at 2.133 Ghz, and a ATI Mobility
Pro Graphics card (64 MB shared). I just wanted to know if that sounds
ok to run Linux on. Haven't decided which distro yet. I currently run
Mandrake 9.x on my Desktop. The HP laptop offers ATI, who's drivers
are open source, which is a must for me, and I'm a big fan of AMD.
However, I also wondered if Linux would be able to run well off of an
XP-M processer?
Are there better laptop solutions out there? I hear that Laptops and
Linux can be a bit of a sticky issue.... BTW, the retailers don't make
it easy for you either, you HAVE to buy the computer with Windows on
it!!!!!! Argh, what is the world coming to??????? :( Oh well. :)

May the Source be with you.
neo88 (Philip Haddad)

Relevant Pages

  • Ruggedized Itronix laptop HOWTO
    ... I bought a cheap ruggedized laptop and got Slackware Linux working on it. ... You have to have some copy of a Linux system to install it. ... Linux kernel and ramdisk. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: long time Linux user considering switching to OS-X
    ... >> - Linux box. ... I do all my work on the laptop. ... >> Unix beyond user level is weak. ... >> with the Mac equivalent I guess). ...
    (comp.sys.mac.portables)
  • Re: Which linux??
    ... I have an old laptop. ... i'd like to give linux a try, and thought this old lappy would be ideal, but i havent a clue which version of linux i should go for, ... RedHat Fedora guidelines suggest that, if you're running a graphical desktop ... On the other hand I'm typing in an IBM Thinkpad 560Z with 300 MHz, 192 MB RAM and a 6 GB hard drive. ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re=3A_Welches_LAptop_f=FCr_12_J=E4hrigen?=
    ... tendiere ich zu einem Laptop. ... kompakt Linux ist nachzulesen, da sie bei 10 getesteten Bussiness ... Desktop ist was ganz anderes und kann keinesfalls 1:1 bertragen werden. ... -> ist u.a. ein Graka bzw. dessen Treiber Thema. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Laptop Question
    ... > linux user, so I would like to buy a linux friendly laptop. ... I need Windows for my college application. ... It is not really a problem, the restore partition is an image of a completed proper windows install, with all drivers and devices configured to work properly in the default configuration. ...
    (alt.linux)