Re: Would SCSI help my problem?

From: Robert Nichols (SEE_SIGNATURE_at_localhost.localdomain.invalid)
Date: 07/13/04

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 00:31:19 +0000 (UTC)

In article <ccu9ti$1e8b$1@news.cybercity.dk>,
Brian Graversen <jobo@daimi.au.dk> wrote:
:Hello people,
:
:I'm currently running a Duron 1200 Mhz machine, with 512 MB ram and a 80
:GB Maxtor IDE harddrive. When my harddrive is busy with some large files
:(moving from partition to partition, merging files, splitting files,
:etc), the system becomes very slow, the mouse no longer moves smoothly
:and music/mp3 skips, programs becomes unresponsive, etc.
:
:Since most of the heavy harddrive I/O on my system happens automatically
:(some background programs which modifies media files), the system can
:suddenly become very unresponsive when I'm busy using the machine.

If you're frequently moving large files around, get a second disc drive
-- any type. You'll find those operations are speeded up enormously if
you can read from one drive and write to the other. It's best if you
don't run both drives on the same IDE channel, but even with both drives
competing for the same IDE channel there's still a huge improvement
because the drive isn't constantly seeking between the source and
destination files. I can't say with any certainty how much the
responsiveness of the machine will improve, but the length of time that
the machine is busy will decrease substantially.

--
Bob Nichols         AT comcast.net I am "rnichols42"