Re: bizarre monitor failures

From: Lenard (lenard_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 07/19/04

    Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:29:23 GMT

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:17:46 -0700, M Berger wrote:

    > pd@phildoddNOSPAMfreeserve.co.uk (Philip Dodd) wrote in message
    >> On 18 Jul 2004 19:49:55 -0700, M Berger <berger@speech-graphics.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >The strangest thing of all is, both monitors failed on rainy days, and
    >>
    >> There is a serious fault with your mains electrical wiring. Call the
    >> electrical company. Tell them what you've told us, and get them to
    >> come and run some tests.
    >>
    >> Philip Dodd
    >
    > You think my electrical supply damaged the monitor? I never thought of
    > that possibility. Wouldn't I then have a problem with other applicances,
    > like televisions? Why would it be induced by humidity?

    Maybe and maybe not. It could be that just the circuit feeding the monitor
    is the problem, worn or cracked or missing electrical insulation . Or
    maybe the wall plug where the monitors failed is bad (cracked or old or
    ??). Add a bit of moisture from the rain (small leak or crack in the
    wall/roof) or high humidity and condensation (with none or poor/worn out
    wall insulation) from cooling and/or accumulation can and will cause
    momentary electrical noise (surges, shorts, high/low power conditions
    and/or ground loops) on the circuit locally. While the electrical noise
    would be present in most households/apartments entire electrical system it
    would be most severe to the appliance(s) closest to the source and less of
    a problem further away.

    --
    Hi!  I'm a .sig virus!  Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
    This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products where used in creating me!