Re: Linux boot on SATA hangs/freezes

From: David Wright (david_c_wright_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 08/04/04

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 09:41:19 +0200

Anonymous wrote:

> Forgot to mention that putting my brother's SATA drive with Windows on it
> boot immediately.

Hmm, Windows pre-installed? On mine, Windows couldn't even detect a hard
drive to install to ;-)

> Still baffled on why it apparently hangs before it even reaches lilo.
> Thanks again.

Haven't played with RAID's, so shot in the dark here:

Could be that the MBR hasn't been mirrored... Which distro do you use? SuSE
allows you to boot the installation CD and then boot the installed
partition, then you can just tell Lilo to re-write the MBR... Alternatively
try a Life CD (Knoppix, SuSE etc) and see if you can re-create the MBR that
way...

Dave

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to delete all partitions for a complete reinstall
    ... keep all the other partitions since the MBR is kept. ... Sorry to ask this question in ubuntu list. ... During the XP install process you can delete all of your partitions ... partition in the new GRUB menu (shows on boot allowing you to choose ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Update on GRUB loader still need help
    ... SuSE is installed default ReiseFS on only the second drive. ... I can do is boot to install disk one and tell the install to boot to the ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: MBR changes with 9.1/GRUB
    ... >> Windows help forums. ... >> installing Suse). ... This should restore the master boot ... Alternatively if you have a W2K install disk start the install process ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Advice restoring a dual boot system
    ... >install windows which I don't mind doing. ... >anything that could harm or prevent me from bootong up SuSE (via GRUB) ... My dual boot system consists of two physical drives as well. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] total system crash
    ... I installed windows xp in place of suse 11.4, ... we turned it on to boot up to suse ... re-boot as part of the install sequence and brought up KDE. ... I put in the install disk again and went to "rescue system". ...
    (SuSE)