Re: USRobotics V.92 data/fax modem not detected

From: mikemsce (mikemsce_at_netscape.com)
Date: 08/25/04

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:09:22 -0700

Thanks for the info (bad news) and the polite correction about
multi-posting.
I'm afraid you are right. I always thought that USRobtics sold their
WinModems labeled as such and where it could be easily noted.
This is not the case in my situation, where the box lists the product as a
Faxmodem.
It never once says the word WinModem on the box, but on the back it says it
uses the computer's processing power which I now take as stating it is a
WinModem. Should have looked more closely, so its my fault. On hindsight
the price did seem to be to good to be true.

For other users info: my US Robotics modem is Model 5660A and is in a
"small" US Robotics box.
USR & 3Com are now on my don't buy list.

Mike

"Moe Trin" <ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld> wrote in message
> In article <10iij8ihnqianca@corp.supernews.com>, mikemsce wrote:
> > I just installed Suse 9.1 and it went great, except that it said my
modem
> > could not be detected. It said this even though it listed my modem as a
> > "Communication Controller" in another section of Yast.
>
> That often means that you don't have a modem, but have the dreaded
Winmodem
> instead. Identify the exact model of the modem that you have (meaning a
> four digit part number). If this is a PCI device, you should also look in
> the boot messages or the output of the command 'lspci -vv', and see what
is
> found there. You are looking for a PCI Vendor code of 12B9 and a four
digit
> device code. For example, the model 0778 is PCI\VEN_12B9&DEV_1008.
>
> > I tried using all the "ttysX" devices to configure my modem but nothing
> > seems to work.
>
> Were it a real modem, it might be on /dev/ttyS0 through ttyS3 - note the
> uppercase S.
>
> I see you also posted an identical message to comp.os.linux.setup. Please
> don't multipost, when 'cross-posting' is needed. It wastes less bandwidth.
> To do that, you list ALL of the newsgroups you are going to post to (but
no
> more than five if you don't want to be accused of spamming) in a comman
> separated list (comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setupn).
>
> Old guy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: modem usrobotics 5637
    ... Linux Mint is a Ubuntu derivative with an excellent IRC channel but ... no mailing lists. ... is it a USB modem or does it us a serial port? ... IIRC once you have KPPP up, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • RE: Modem configuration
    ... FreeBSD does not work using an winmodem. ... Each manufacture may use an different combination of chips on their ... name on them as the first step in determining if the ltmdm port may ... Subject: Modem configuration ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • RE: USR 56k Internal WinModem
    ... This hardware controller function is contained in a chip on the ... chip that directs the modem to use driver software running in the ... Subject: USR 56k Internal WinModem ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: /dev/modem
    ... the people at most computer stores know ... nothing about Linux and so didn't tell me that it was a winmodem. ... >>removed stale lock on modem ... > winmodem and as such requires that a driver be installed. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Linmodems
    ... another machine I have goody goodyUbuntu and there I have a winmodem. ... But how do I get this from the desktop to my ubuntu machine. ... Assuming both computers have usb ports, ... hardware modem is the best way to go. ...
    (Ubuntu)