Re: USRobotics V.92 data/fax modem not detected

From: mikemsce (mikemsce_at_netscape.com)
Date: 08/25/04

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:09:22 -0700

Thanks for the info (bad news) and the polite correction about
multi-posting.
I'm afraid you are right. I always thought that USRobtics sold their
WinModems labeled as such and where it could be easily noted.
This is not the case in my situation, where the box lists the product as a
Faxmodem.
It never once says the word WinModem on the box, but on the back it says it
uses the computer's processing power which I now take as stating it is a
WinModem. Should have looked more closely, so its my fault. On hindsight
the price did seem to be to good to be true.

For other users info: my US Robotics modem is Model 5660A and is in a
"small" US Robotics box.
USR & 3Com are now on my don't buy list.

Mike

"Moe Trin" <ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld> wrote in message
> In article <10iij8ihnqianca@corp.supernews.com>, mikemsce wrote:
> > I just installed Suse 9.1 and it went great, except that it said my
modem
> > could not be detected. It said this even though it listed my modem as a
> > "Communication Controller" in another section of Yast.
>
> That often means that you don't have a modem, but have the dreaded
Winmodem