Re: Kingston KNE111TX NIC supported ???

From: Tauno Voipio (tauno.voipio_at_iki.fi.NOSPAM.invalid)
Date: 09/02/04

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 06:49:27 GMT

Linux Lover wrote:
> Hi,
> I freshly installed Fedora Core 1 on an old AMD K6-2 based PC, which
> has a Kingston KNE111TX NIC.
>
> Everything seemed to be going OK. Even the NIC was identified and
> configured without a problem (and the correct MAC address was
> registered in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts).
>
> Alas, when I attempt to ping another PC on my network, I receive
> "Destination Host Unreachable".
>
> Now.. I *know* it must be something in the driver's innerworkings
> since the same exact hardware config works PERFECTLY when booted to
> Windows XP. Also, I have installed and configured countless Linux
> systems with working networking, so I can swear that all the params I
> entered are perfect.
>
> However, this is the first time ever that I am trying to use the
> Kingston KNE111TX NIC with Linux.
>
> So, I checked /proc/pci and found that the card is identified as:
>
> ------ START QUOTE -------
> Bus 0, device 9, function 0
> Ethernet Controller: Lite-On Communication Inc LNE100TX
> [Linksys EtherFast 10/100] (rev 37)
> IRQ 9
> Master Capable. Latency=64 Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=56
> I/O at 0xd800 [0xd8ff]
> No-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe6410000 [0xe64100ff]
> ------ END QUOTE -------
>
> My questions are:
> 1) Does this seem OK?
> The card is from Kingston so why is it identified as
> Lite-On/Linksys?

Yes - that's a normal marketing trick. There are even cases
where different revisions of the same brand and type of card
use a totally different controller chip and driver.

> 2) Does anyone know for sure that it is possible to use this
> card with Linux (kernel 2.4 and up)?
> 3) If the answer to question #2 is positive,
> What do I need to do in order to "make it happen"?

Excerpt from Ethernet-HOWTO:

4.26 LinkSys

LinkSys make a handful of different NE2000 clones, some straight ISA
cards, some ISA plug and play and some even ne2000-PCI clones based on
one of the supported ne2000-PCI chipsets. There are just too many models
to list here. Their site is at http://www.linksys.com/

LinkSys Etherfast 10/100 Cards.

Note that with these cards there have been several `revisions' (i.e.
different chipset used) all with the same card name. The 1st used the
DEC chipset. The 2nd revision used the Lite-On PNIC 82c168 PCI Network
Interface Controller, the 3rd revision of the card uses a LinkSys 82c169
NIC chip, and the 4th revision uses the ADMtek Comet. Support for the
latter three has been merged into the standard tulip driver -- you may
need a driver upgrade to get support for them depending on how old your
current driver version is.

More PNIC information is available at:

http://www.scyld.com/network

More information on the various versions of these cards can be found at
the LinkSys WWW site mentioned above.

-----------

HTH

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Relevant Pages

  • Re: DS10L ATI 7500 PCI Graphics Problems
    ... "show config" at the console diaplays the PCI ID ... specific about a particular card. ... So what happens is that the driver when setting up for the specific ... fails the driver initialization. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • RE: Installing voodoo 3 ... driver issues
    ... (although, curiously, I think I found a config file for xf86cfg.) ... What are the steps for adding a new card? ... Subject: Installing voodoo 3 ... ... driver issues ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Dell Laptop confuses Linksys Wireless G card as a Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI Card ?
    ... >Mini-PCI Card". ... >I have a Linksys Wireless G card from when I used it with my old laptop - so ... >Linksys Wireless-G using the Linksys drivers also stopped working. ... >Rolling back the driver for the Linksys Wireless-G card, ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Getting PPC two recognize linksys card??
    ... I am having trouble with getting my Ipaq 3835 to recgnize my linksys ... goes away but then I can't connected because the power is off on the card. ... The power shuts off on the card when it asks for the driver name. ... tried to soft rest, hard rest again, deleting the program off my desktop ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless)
  • Re: Configureing my wireless card
    ... > connect to my wireless router (Linksys). ... > there is no Linux driver at their website. ... Actually I presume that there is some issue with G card. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)