Re: Kingston KNE111TX NIC supported ???

From: Tauno Voipio (tauno.voipio_at_iki.fi.NOSPAM.invalid)
Date: 09/02/04

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 06:49:27 GMT

Linux Lover wrote:
> Hi,
> I freshly installed Fedora Core 1 on an old AMD K6-2 based PC, which
> has a Kingston KNE111TX NIC.
>
> Everything seemed to be going OK. Even the NIC was identified and
> configured without a problem (and the correct MAC address was
> registered in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts).
>
> Alas, when I attempt to ping another PC on my network, I receive
> "Destination Host Unreachable".
>
> Now.. I *know* it must be something in the driver's innerworkings
> since the same exact hardware config works PERFECTLY when booted to
> Windows XP. Also, I have installed and configured countless Linux
> systems with working networking, so I can swear that all the params I
> entered are perfect.
>
> However, this is the first time ever that I am trying to use the
> Kingston KNE111TX NIC with Linux.
>
> So, I checked /proc/pci and found that the card is identified as:
>
> ------ START QUOTE -------
> Bus 0, device 9, function 0
> Ethernet Controller: Lite-On Communication Inc LNE100TX
> [Linksys EtherFast 10/100] (rev 37)
> IRQ 9
> Master Capable. Latency=64 Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=56
> I/O at 0xd800 [0xd8ff]
> No-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe6410000 [0xe64100ff]
> ------ END QUOTE -------
>
> My questions are:
> 1) Does this seem OK?
> The card is from Kingston so why is it identified as
> Lite-On/Linksys?

Yes - that's a normal marketing trick. There are even cases
where different revisions of the same brand and type of card
use a totally different controller chip and driver.

> 2) Does anyone know for sure that it is possible to use this
> card with Linux (kernel 2.4 and up)?
> 3) If the answer to question #2 is positive,
> What do I need to do in order to "make it happen"?

Excerpt from Ethernet-HOWTO:

4.26 LinkSys

LinkSys make a handful of different NE2000 clones, some straight ISA
cards, some ISA plug and play and some even ne2000-PCI clones based on
one of the supported ne2000-PCI chipsets. There are just too many models
to list here. Their site is at http://www.linksys.com/

LinkSys Etherfast 10/100 Cards.

Note that with these cards there have been several `revisions' (i.e.
different chipset used) all with the same card name. The 1st used the
DEC chipset. The 2nd revision used the Lite-On PNIC 82c168 PCI Network
Interface Controller, the 3rd revision of the card uses a LinkSys 82c169
NIC chip, and the 4th revision uses the ADMtek Comet. Support for the
latter three has been merged into the standard tulip driver -- you may
need a driver upgrade to get support for them depending on how old your
current driver version is.

More PNIC information is available at:

http://www.scyld.com/network

More information on the various versions of these cards can be found at
the LinkSys WWW site mentioned above.

HTH

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi