Re: a linux showstopper on an Editor's Choice PC, but no interest here?

From: Abdullah Ramazanoglu (abdullah_at_ramazanoglu.tr)
Date: 09/19/04

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:29:06 +0300

begin Northpoint <Northpoint@return.2.sender.com> dedi ki:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 03:57:18 +0000, Peter Leopold wrote:
 --8<--

> Not to get me wrong, The emachines do fill a nitch in the computer
> market. Im sure they are fine for anyone just wanting to get there email
> or surf the web. However, For anything robust I would prefer a better
> system.

But the question was not whether emachines are good systems or not.

As for the alleged compatibility issue, it's the first time I've ever
heard of "emachines" (no emachines here in Turkey). But considering that
practically any north and south bridge chipset is supported (including
nvidia) in addition to practically any peripheral chips by Linux, I guess
this is either a user error or some really specific issue regarding the
motherboard at hand. Without detailed specs noone can comment on it.

OTOH, if emachine is so clueless as to be able to build a system that
manages to be incompatible with Linux, well it's their own system. Good
luck to them, as they seem to need it generally. However, I'm sure that it
will work eventually with future kernel revisions, even if it doesn't now.

AFAIC, it's not a show-stopper for Linux in emachine's target market,
instead it is a show-stopper for emachines in the Linux market. Anyway, it
seems that emachines are not interested in Linux market, so let them go.

--
Abdullah        | aramazan@ |
Ramazanoglu     | myrealbox |

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why do so many people love Teas Instruments?
    ... That is why casual user drives what is mass market ... in the initial Linux package and she wanted to do it herself. ... You can do it without any help on Windows in 99% of cases using simple GUI ... when some more features such as programming are needed. ...
    (comp.sys.hp48)
  • Re: Linux Market share?
    ... >number is almost microscopic (since most Linux servers are configured ... many of the servers now ... >> captured by some product provider to that market. ... >> which is the market area that Microsoft was found to have monopoly power ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Linux vs OS X future
    ... See: <http://marketshare.hitslink.com> ... Certainly, Mac users do not ... Now, about Linux... ... Though most small companies use Windows for servers, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Leaving the Desktop Market
    ... FreeBSD should declare 2014 to be "year of the ... Linux world? ... There is no such thing as a desktop market for *BSD or Linux. ... server OS and it's easy to defend its role in the server room. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Leaving the Desktop Market
    ... FreeBSD should declare 2014 to be "year of the ... Linux world? ... There is no such thing as a desktop market for *BSD or Linux. ... server OS and it's easy to defend its role in the server room. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)