Re: 2 drives as hda

From: Justin (justin.lynch_at_gmail.com)
Date: 09/23/04

Date: 23 Sep 2004 06:32:33 -0700

Thanks for that. The full text of my dmesg can be found here;
http://network-dns.net/dmesg.txt
I have also included an lspci at the end of that file.

It doesnt look promising. If the drive had been recognised wouldn't it appear in
/proc/ide...
?

Justin

Dances With Crows <danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<slrnckp4ad.kmi.danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@samantha.crow202.dyndns.org>...
> On 18 Sep 2004 06:28:11 -0700, Justin staggered into the Black Sun and
> said:
> > I have a system that has two drives that are working as raid on a PCI
> > raid card (9RTL8139).
>
> Are you sure about that part/chipset designation? Grepping through
> /usr/src/linux turns up a lot of references to RTL8139 in the 8139too
> and 8139cp NIC modules, but nothing for RAID cards.
>
> > I just added a 3rd drive to the machine and the BIOS detected it as
> > the primary on ide0, so I though all was fine. Before setting up the
> > 3rd drive I moved the server to a data center so I don't have pyhsical
> > access. Now when I go into Linux it appears that the raid drives are
> > comming up as hda and hdb and I can't see my 3rd drive.
>
> "We're moving this machine somewhere where it'll be very inconvenient to
> fix if something goes wrong with the physical hardware."
> "Obviously, we should test the hell out of it before moving it!"
>
> Lesson learned? Good. If the drives on the PCI card are showing up as
> hda and hdb, you've probably set the "Boot off-board chipsets first
> support" option to Y in the kernel configuration. It's highly probable
> that the devices connected to the motherboard's IDE connectors are still
> there, just under different names. Scan the output of dmesg to find out
> where the motherboard-connected disk is. It's probably on /dev/hdc if
> the RAID card can have 2 disks plugged into it, /dev/hde if the RAID
> card can have 4 disks plugged into it, etcetera.
>
> You might want to post the entire output of dmesg to your webspace and
> follow up with a URL so that people can look at it and make suggestions
> and recommendations. It might also help if you posted the output of
> "uname -a" and "lspci".
>
> > If I could get access to the server would putting the 3rd drive onto
> > the ide1 fis this problem making it hdc?
>
> Doubt it. Look through dmesg first and see if the disk is listed
> anywhere in the boot messages; if not, we'll need to see the full dmesg
> output. HTH anyway,

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Please help - adaptec 2820sa not ... RESOLVED
    ... I can see both 2820sa cards in the dmesg, and I see no errors, etc. - ... Perhaps sysinstall cannot deal with a>2TB drive ... There are no other drives in the system besides the single 2.8TB raid 6 ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [opensuse] identifying hard disk
    ... this is from the installed drives? ... Is there a linux command ... The numbering starts from '0' so in dmesg the above is your second Hard ... Have you tried SUSE Studio? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: How do I get /dev/sdb1 back without rebooting?
    ... Is the a way to rescan my SATA drives and ... SCSI is easy. ... Some SATA devices may not even be hot-swappable. ... dmesg for anything at all about the SCSI/SATA subsystems. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Please help - adaptec 2820sa not ... RESOLVED
    ... I can see both 2820sa cards in the dmesg, and I see no errors, etc. - ... There are no other drives in the system besides the single 2.8TB raid 6 ... the AAC driver does not present arrays to the system as SCSI LUNs. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: dd(1) performance when copiing a disk to another
    ... if DMA transfers are enabled for those discs? ... > see end of mail for full dmesg output, ... not fit to SATA drives, ...
    (freebsd-performance)