Re: USB2 memory-stick support...

From: Dances With Crows (danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/04/04

Date: 4 Nov 2004 14:12:25 GMT

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:51:13 +0100, Michael Heiming staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
> Couldn't get away from an offer I saw yesterday, 256MB USB2 stick for
> about 25 EUR, the package says it would support only M$/Mac. With a
> hint to get the manual from www.captiva-power.com, strange enough
> there's only a manual in German/Spain/etc available, non English?

I guess they only sell the device in Western Europe, or something.

> Now the manual (German version) says supported OS: "[Bunch of M$],
> Linux 2.4 oder neuere Version, Mac OS 9.0 oder neuere Version"
> Remarkable, you wouldn't have read this a few years ago.

Well, the technical people probably said, "Does this device conform to
the USB Mass Storage specifications? It does? OK, tell Marketing they
can put 'Supported under Linux 2.4.n or higher' in."

> Seems to work like a charm, replaced vfat with ext2, wouldn't want to
> waste 33MB for ext3 journal, lost already a few MB compared to vfat.;(
> Or would another FS be more suited for this kind of memory?

A portable storage device should be in a lowest-common-denominator
format, so that every computer you plug it into can read it. That means
(predictably) FAT16, since it's highly probable you'll find a Lose98
machine that you'd like to use this memory stick on. ext2 creates a
certain number of inodes when you mke2fs; the blocks used for inodes
can't be used for anything else, unlike FAT. 5% of space on an ext2
filesystem is reserved for uid 0 by default; "man tune2fs" etcetera to
reduce this percentage and get some more space back. HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!