Re: USB/SCSI layer problem with CD Writer

From: Dances With Crows (danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/30/04

Date: 30 Nov 2004 17:36:54 GMT

On 30 Nov 2004 08:17:25 -0800, James staggered into the Black Sun and said:
> I have a CD-Writer connected via USB which Redhat won't even read as a
> plain old CD-Rom drive. It comes up ok in the usb and scsi
> subsystems

> Old Vaio laptop with USB support
> Redhat 7 2.2.16 kernel

? The 2.2 kernel series had abysmal USB Mass Storage support. It's
time for you to get a 2.4 kernel; 2.4.27 is available. Which Redhat 7?
Redhat 7.0 was, without question, the buggiest Redhat release I've ever
had the misfortune of working with, while Redhat 7.3 was reasonably
usable.

> sr0: CDROM (ioctl) error, command: Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
> [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current sr00:00: sense key None

This is probably a problem with the USB layer. I never had any luck
getting USB Mass Storage devices working properly with a 2.2 kernel back
when I was still using 2.2 several years ago.

> mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrw
> mount: No medium found
> Where do I go from here?

Get a 2.4 kernel and try again. That will almost certainly solve your
USB problems.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!

  • USB problem on Acer Aspire 1310
    ... I have trouble with my Acer Aspire 1310, I think it's USB problems. ... It has worked once on ca 30-40 startups and I hadn't altered the kernel ... When I burn I disconnect the mouse ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)
  • Re: F7 Kernel 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 USB stick
    ... I don't notice any USB problems here. ... There's a dearth of information in the two recent 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 kernel ... usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: mount USB HD
    ... > I have an external USB harddisk which contains two FAT32 partitions. ... first thing I'd try is upgrading the kernel to the most recent stable ... Redhat 8.0 shipped with a comparatively ancient kernel, ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: External USB Disk with RedHat 9.0
    ... I am not able to make FS in the USB disk. ... I searched online and found latest kernel for RedHat 9.0, ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • USB Problems
    ... I am a newbie to RedHat, but not quite a newbie to Linux. ... Yesterday I installed RedHat on my PC and everything went beautifully. ... My USB Keyboard and USB Mouse did not work... ... sound card is also not working, it too being built into the mother ...
    (RedHat)