Re: linux on socket 939, chipset nvidia nforce3 250

From: Anton Ertl (anton_at_mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at)
Date: 12/18/04

    Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:02:42 GMT

    Abdullah Ramazanoglu <abdullah@ramazanoglu.tr> writes:
    >begin Anton Ertl dedi ki:
    >> Maurice <mauricex@gmx.net> writes:
    >>>anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) wrote:
    >
    >> Debian pure64 actually uses the /lib directory, and has a /lib64 link
    >> for compatibility with external stuff in a few cases. If Debian had
    >> better supported dealing with /lib64, the biarch port would have been
    >> a success, and pure64 would not have been conceived.
    >
    >I consider it lucky that biarch port hadn't been much of a success, so
    >that the Right-Thing, pure64, had to be conceived.

    Well, pure64 is the wrong thing for me. And even for purists, I fail
    to see how pure64 is any righter than a biarch or multi-arch Debian
    with only one arch installed.

    >> Well, at least that's my understanding of the situation; I looked at
    >> Debian for AMD64 for some while, then decided to install Fedora Core1.
    >
    >Why not go with pure64?

    I want to run my old 386 binaries.

    Also, in March, when I made the decision, things did not look as rosy
    with pure64 as they do now.

    - anton

    --
    M. Anton Ertl                    Some things have to be seen to be believed