Re: Monitor Squeal

From: Murphy (m_at_urphy.com)
Date: 01/03/05

    Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:05:33 GMT

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 22:27:23 GMT, Murphy staggered into the Black Sun
    > and said:
    >> Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    >>> Murphy <m@urphy.com> wrote:
    > [ a monitor that makes a squealing noise under Linux ]
    >>> WRONG. It has *nothing* to do with which OS you run. The solution
    >>> has been give to you several times now... don't configure your
    >>> system to us 60 Hz vertical refresh.
    >> Floyd, I agree it has nothing to do with the OS but the fact remains
    >> that under Linux the problem exists and under Windows it doesn't
    >
    > The problem is almost certainly with X's config file. Put your
    > /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config file on your webspace and
    > follow up with a URL that points to that file, so the people who know
    > about X can look at the whole thing and give advice.

    I've copied what I think is the relevant section and pasted it at the bottom
    of this post, I hope this helps.

    >> I would love to configure the system not to use the 60Hz vert refresh
    >> rate however being a total newbie it takes time to figure it out and
    >> from experience best not to screw with things unless you A) know what
    >> you're doing and B) have researched sufficiently to be confident that
    >> the change is the correct one.
    >
    > A) and B) are a good start, but it's better IME to have C) make a backup
    > of the system/file you're going to change, and make sure you know how to
    > restore it. That way you can change all sorts of stuff without knowing
    > everything. Just make sure you don't screw up /lib/libc* , /lib/ld.so* ,
    > /sbin/init , or /etc/inittab --it's a bit of a pain to recover when
    > your libc is gone, and it's a pain to boot when init is missing or
    > incorrectly configured.

    Done cp xorg.conf xorg.cong.backup

    >> I have also located the xorg.conf file and am reading through it. What
    >> puzzels me is why in KDE only a refresh rate of 60Hz is listed in the
    >> drop down box that obviously is made to list various options, if I had
    >> the correct drivers installed surely I would have the correct options
    >> listed in this drop down list ? (as I have in Windows)
    >
    > There are a number of reasons why this could be happening. Without
    > looking at the xorg.conf , I can't tell you which one's correct. Either
    > you're using the VESA X server (don't use that; it's slow and lacking in
    > useful features, although some distros use it for Cthulhu-only-knows
    > what reasons) or the Hsync and Vsync ranges you entered for your monitor
    > are too narrow.
    >
    >> Does KDE display the values in the "Screen Resize and Rotate" refresh
    >> rate list box dependant upon the drivers installed or is it simply
    >> read from the xorg.conf file?
    >
    > Both. If you're using VESA, you're stuck at 60Hz. If you're using a
    > video-card-specific X server, you're limited by the Hsync and Vsync
    > ranges you've entered (or the ranges X reads from your monitor via
    > DDC/EDID.) My desktop has a NEC Multisync 95 attached to an nVidia
    > TNT2, and when I use the evil binary-only nvidia X server, I get 75Hz at
    > 1280x1024. (works for me!)

    As I'm limited to 60Hz then I guess VESA is being used.
    I have found the following specifications for my monitor which states the
    optimum display is 1024X768 @ 75Hz (which is what windows uses without a
    problem)
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/819et/en/spec/spec.htm

    >> and if the latter then surely this is anything but plug n play
    >> hardware detection.
    >
    > X configuration is (still) a bit of a mess. It used to be a lot worse.
    > Part of the problem is that some monitors report incorrect info via
    > EDID/DDC. Part of the problem is that some distros set things up so
    > that VESA is used instead of the proper video-card-specific X server.
    > Part of the problem is that the Xorg people are dealing with a huge mess
    > of bugs/feature requests right now, and autoconfiguration of X isn't a
    > huge priority (though X 4.n has always been able to do "X -config",
    > which typically writes a usable X config file unless X doesn't support
    > the graphics card you have at all.)

    Excellent, now I understand more of what is going on here. I am guessing my
    distro (Slackware) is using VESA as I have found this word uncommented in
    the xorg.conf file in a few places. I do not have a web server to publish
    this document on however I have copied what I think is the relevant part
    and here it is:

    # **********************************************************************
    # Monitor section
    # **********************************************************************

    # Any number of monitor sections may be present

    Section "Monitor"

        Identifier "My Monitor"

    # HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
    # HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
    # comma separated list of ranges of values.
    # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
    # USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

        HorizSync 31.5 - 50.0

    # HorizSync 30-64 # multisync
    # HorizSync 31.5, 35.2 # multiple fixed sync frequencies
    # HorizSync 15-25, 30-50 # multiple ranges of sync frequencies

    # VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
    # VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
    # comma separated list of ranges of values.
    # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
    # USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

        VertRefresh 40-90

    EndSection

    # **********************************************************************
    # Graphics device section
    # **********************************************************************

    # Any number of graphics device sections may be present

    Section "Device"
        Identifier "VESA Framebuffer"
        Driver "vesa"
        #VideoRam 4096
        # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
    EndSection

    # **********************************************************************
    # Screen sections
    # **********************************************************************

    # Any number of screen sections may be present. Each describes
    # the configuration of a single screen. A single specific screen section
    # may be specified from the X server command line with the "-screen"
    # option.
    Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen 1"
        Device "VESA Framebuffer"
        Monitor "My Monitor"

    # If your card can handle it, a higher default color depth (like 24 or 32)
    # is highly recommended.

    # DefaultDepth 8
    # DefaultDepth 16
       DefaultDepth 24
    # DefaultDepth 32

    # "1024x768" is also a conservative usable default resolution. If you
    # have a better monitor, feel free to try resolutions such as
    # "1152x864", "1280x1024", "1600x1200", and "1800x1400" (or whatever your
    # card/monitor can produce)

        Subsection "Display"
            Depth 8
            Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubsection
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth 16
            Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubsection
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth 24
            Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubsection
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth 32

    --
    Thanks
    Murph

    • Re: Slackware 2.3 was: Re: Linux on 486?
      ... # it the client can still run and fetch card and monitor attributes, ... # EndSubSection ... Identifier "Generic VGA" ... ViewPort 0 0 ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: Is the xserver-xorg configuration system broken?
      ... Florian Kulzer wrote: ... If you are unsure about the capabilities of your monitor you can try to ... find it on http://www.monitorworld.com/Monitors/ or to google for the ... Maybe the ranges are currently specified too small and this ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Problems with nVidia-3D and Yast
      ... communications protocol built in which allows the monitor to communicate ... This communications protocol ... So I could tell the config utility ALL DAY LONG that I wanted to work at ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: [opensuse] Video problems with 11.4
      ... KDE4 you have a Monitor module in the System Settings window that you ...  I'm running KDE and I don't see any "randr" ... spell out the GUI config path. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Giving up - help to recover data? Have some X (Krandrinithack crash)
      ... > config files. ... > with the old crt monitor. ... There is an option to tell sax not to use an existing configuration, ... Seems like I need to edit ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)