xeon or pentium?

From: peter pilsl (pilsl_at_goldfisch.at)
Date: 01/17/05

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:40:18 +0100

I need a new server for a resource-intense webapplication and wonder if
it pays to buy a xeon or even dual-xeon compared to a standard p4?

The server will run apache2 with most intensive memory-usage (mod_perl),
postgresql8 (sql-server).

I'll put in lot of ram and want to know if it pays the extra money for xeon.

In fact I dont even know if xeon is fully supported under linux? I
think so, but I've never used xeon before.

thnx,
peter

--
http://www2.goldfisch.at/know_list

Relevant Pages

  • Re: AS2005 x64 vs x86 performance
    ... cached data on the 64-bit server is much larger and it the commit operation ... My issues are related with XMLA ... executed one of the execution units goes 100% for some seconds. ... The disk sys on the xeon srv is a FC SAN where I have an array of 4 FC ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.olap)
  • Re: xeon or pentium?
    ... > I need a new server for a resource-intense webapplication and wonder ... > if it pays to buy a xeon or even dual-xeon compared to a standard p4? ... the CPU run queue regardless of what CPU platform you use. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: AS2005 x64 vs x86 performance
    ... When you run Profiler against the server do you see any other activity? ... Each execution made one execution unit 100%. ... As soon as the XMLA was executed the queries get answered. ... The disk sys on the xeon srv is a FC SAN where I have an array of 4 FC ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.olap)
  • Re: Virtual Server on SBS
    ... the Xeon CPUs shipping now from numerous micro architectural points of view. ... Windows Server 2003 Std. ... that makes for a nice Virtual Server 2005 ... Virtual Server on SBS that will help me learn about using ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Server/Drive Speed
    ... Multi-processor support in Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 ... These processors can be single-core, multi-core, or hyper ... Xeon system it said that the OS could only handle 2 processors. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)