Re: System sees USB device but can not access it.

From: Lenard (lenard_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 01/21/05

Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 03:15:46 GMT

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:46:15 -0600, Mark A Framness wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I recently purchased a Panasonic DMC-FZ20 camera for my wife's birthday.
> Since it is documented as supported by gphoto I did so unafraid.

<snip>

> Output from lsusb (su'ed from my user account): Unknown line at line
> 1809
> <---- this is very very new Duplicate HUT Usage Spec at line
> 2650 <----this is new as well Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual
> Hub Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0409:0059 NEC Systems Bus 002 Device 015: ID
> 04da:2372 Panasonic (Matsushita) <--here it is! Bus 001 Device 001: ID
> 0000:0000 Virtual Hub Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:0b17 Hewlett-Packard
>
> The following command
> gphoto2 --camera="Panasonic DMC-FZ20" --port=usb --list-files
>
> gives
> *** Error ***
> An error occurred in the io-library ('Bad parameters'): Could not find
> USB device (vendor 0x4da, product 0x2374). Make sure this device is
> connected to the computer.
> *** Error (-2: 'Bad parameters') ***

<snip>

> Any ideas?

Maybe a fresh set of eyes can provide insight, from your post;

> 04da:2372 Panasonic (Matsushita) <--here it is!

A bit later;

> device (vendor 0x4da, product 0x2374). Make sure this device is
> connected

Do you now see the difference between what is reported as your camera and
what gphoto2 is looking for???

According to; http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html

Panasonic DMC-LC20 0x04da/0x2372
Panasonic DMC-LC33 0x04da/0x2372 (USB Mass Storage)

So try something like;

gphoto2 --camera="Panasonic DMC-LC20" --port=usb --list-files

Or ask for help with support for your camera in the the Usenet News
discussion group rec.photo.digital and checkout the links from;
http://www.gphoto.org/links/

  • Slackware 10, KDE, & digital cameras
    ... camera support for KDE? ... application in any of the KDE menus. ... I had the same camera working via gphoto under Red Hat 9 on the same ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: PTP in Windows
    ... shutter release my camera and have it ... It supports PTP/IP, but according to your link, the device has got to ... i don't get what you're getting at?- of course it has to support ip- ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: CANON IXUS 60 photo download
    ... This is true for those cameras supporting usb mass storage. ... The the GUI interface gtkam says 'no camera detection'. ... am using SUSE linux and gPhoto 2.x is installed in my pc. ... inform you that, in the support hardware list of gPhoto, there is no ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Looking for Linux Support for an Olympus Camedia 5050Zoom camera ? You had better have a LOT OF TIME
    ... When the camera is plugged into the computer via its USB cable it appears ... Support for USB ... SCSI in the Kernel ... The file system type used on the camera is Microsoft VFAT. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Requirements or Restrictions using "Imaging Device" in Windows Driver Manager
    ... that the camera display an icon in Windows Device Manager under ... WIA support. ... not intended to be a "Still Image" camera. ... this location in Driver Manager? ...