Re: What's a good low-end video card that works well with Linux?

From: Dances With Crows (danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows_at_gmail.com)
Date: 02/02/05

Date: 2 Feb 2005 20:12:51 GMT

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 04:50:54 GMT, Hactar staggered into the Black Sun and said:
> In article <slrnd0098j.1lc.danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@samantha.crow202.dyndns.org>,
> Dances With Crows <daSPANnceswithcroTRAPws@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:32:32 GMT, Hactar staggered into the Black Sun
>> and said:
>> > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV5 [Riva TnT2]
>> > Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
>> > Right now I'm running XFree86 4.2.0 at 1536x1152 in 15/16 bit color.
>> > Driver "nvidia"
>> > No 3D acceleration, so many games won't run or do so verrry slowly.
>> Um. The TNT2 combined with the evil binary-only nVidia X server will
>> do hardware-accelerated OpenGL. The chipset was first introduced
>> sometime in mid/late 1999, though, so it'll be a lot slower than

>> Load "glx"
>> in the Modules section of your XF86Config, and the output of "glxinfo
> I do have that glx line in there; maybe I tried the games a couple
> driver versions back, and at the time they didn't work so I didn't try
> again.

Hm. Well, read on...

> Here's glxinfo as me:
> Error: Could not open /dev/nvidiactl because the permissions
> are too resticitive.
> (/dev/nvidiactl was owned by root.root, mode 0600)
>
> Whoops, fixed by making /dev/nvidia* mode 0666 permanently, as
> described in that document.

Yeah, that should help.

> OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
> NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-6106
> GCC version: gcc version 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)
>
> glxgears doesn't seem to be any faster since I fixed PAM (it still
> uses 100% CPU). Do I need to restart X?

glxgears will probably always max the CPU; it's designed to push as many
frames as possible to the OpenGL subsystem as quickly as possible.
Restarting X shouldn't make any difference. What's the Device section
of your X config file look like? You might want to try setting the
NvAgp option to something other than "0", which will probably require an
X restart to take effect. 0 disables AGP, 1 uses the nVidia-specific
AGP code, 2 uses the agpgart kernel module, 3 tries agpgart first and
the nVidia AGP code second.

The glxgears framerates may not make any real difference to
anything--last time I ran glxgears with Xorg and the evil binary-only
stuff, I got about 395 fps, when I got about 1100 with XFree86 4.3.0 and
the same evil X server. My laptop gets 714 fps in glxgears, but OpenGL
is *slower* on it than on my desktop. *shrug* lies, damned lies, and
benchmarks....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!