kernel 2.6 - acpi and smp -> problem

From: Jens Nixdorf (spamtrap_at_trackpoint.de)
Date: 02/07/05

Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:07:46 GMT

Hi All,

i own a Dimension 8300 with a 3 GHz P IV, which is running some
Linux-Distributions (at the moment gentoo and SuSE 9.2). Since kernel 2.6
is standard for the mainstream distributions like SuSE, Mandrake or Fedora
Core this machine has a problem with acpi and smp. Because of the
HT-capabilities of the P IV it would be logical to use the smp-capabilities
of the linux-kernel. But it doesnt work with this machine. Either I have to
switch smp support off or acpi, otherwise the machine wont boot, but makes
a hard reset some seconds after decompressing the kernel.

But it comes even more strange: If the machine has a cold start, i.e. it was
switched off for at least 30 minutes, the machine is booting very fine with
acpi and smp. But never a second time. No matter which OS was running
before. I tried until now Fedora Core 3 with ist standard kernel (2.6.9?),
SuSE 9.2 with its standard-kernel 2.6.8, gentoo with its dev-kernel 2.6.10
and even with an actual vanilla-kernel.

With an selfbuilt machine with the ASUS P4C800-Board and the same processor
all these systems are running very well. What is the difference between
DELL and ASUS in this case? And is there a solution for this problem
(without changing the machine)? And are there any other options for acpi
than acpi=off or acpi=ht and what do they do?

Thanks, Jens

--
Die angegebene Mail-Adresse ist in Ordnung, wird aber nicht gelesen. Für
Mails an mich bitte spamtrap gegen jens.nixdorf tauschen.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: the " official point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion
    ... you can't even get a distro which allows you to ... Considering that klive is offered by someone working for SuSE, ... Gentoo project could make a good news article ("Numbers by a SuSE ... "this project aims to provide kernel live feedback about ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: ACPI "Suspend to RAM" on Suse 8.2
    ... > From my understanding, ACPI should be built into the suse 2.4 kernel, ... > that ACPI support is being brought up successfully. ... You'd need to install a 2.6.0-test kernel and hope that the drivers ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [SLE] R: [SLE] Suse 9.0 and high utilization with X
    ... > But, it's the first time i install Suse, how many times need Suse to ... > release new kernel version with correct this problem of acpi. ... > I know on my m/b it's correct since 2.4.22 by original kernel. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] Laptops -acpi and powermanagement
    ... >powermanagment working. ... Now with SuSE 9.0 I have none. ... >I have tested the 2.4.25-pre8 kernel from kernel.org and acpi works. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Gentoo Installation: KERNEL TOO OLD
    ... ich bin gerade dabei auf meinem Linux Rechner, der derzeit mit SuSE 9.1, Kernel 2.6.4-52-default läuft, GENTOO Linux zu installieren. ... Das SuSE Linux liegt auf /dev/hda1 und GENTOO soll auf /dev/hdb1 bis /dev/hdb3. ... FATAL: kernel too old ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)