Re: Western Digital hard drives are garbage

From: Bernard Rother (bprotherREMOVE1_at_intekom.co.za)
Date: 05/19/05

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:12:45 +0200

messenjah@mailinator.com wrote:
> I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are
> complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate.

last month I had a Seagate 120gig SATA fail and two weeks later a
Seagate 80gig IDE fail. Both were on a plastic rack with a fan blowing
over them. The other Seagate 80 & Maxtor 40 gigs are still up and
running in the same frame. Surge supressor in DB board, powerstrip is
also surge suppressed and PC power is supplied by a Landman 1250A UPS.
I've replace the 2 failed drives with 120gig SATA IBM Deskstars ( one
was under guarantee )

Was working as usual and for no reason at all I was unable to access the
drives. No bumps, jolts etc. ...... just sitting here quietly doing my
CAD drawings and saving as I go along and suddenly the drives no longer
show up. Machines also run 24/7 unless we're away for the weekend.

Strangely, the Maxtor is the smallest and oldest HDD and still going
strong. One 120 gig is my work drive and the remainder are backup units.

Any comments on the IBM Deskstars ?? So I know what to expect ;-)

Bernard

Relevant Pages

  • Re: If anyone wants to gamble on an IDE Maxtor.....
    ... defective drives warranty, i.e. the replacement drive does not have a one year warranty, but only has the warranty remaining on the original drive. ... Now that they have been bought by Seagate, I hope that Seagate brings them up to the same standard as Seagate drives. ... The first one failed in 4 months and was replaced by a Dell tech with a Western Digital 80G. ... Now the second Maxtor 80G just failed and the Dell tech replaced it with a 80G Seagate. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Western Digital hard drives are garbage
    ... drives, ... We don't use WD, but Maxtor has ... having two hard drives fail in less than six months, ... We're currently testing Seagate 400s and are ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Seagate Hard Drives
    ... Seagate now) and Western Digital. ... I refuse to buy Maxtor. ... Maxtor was one of the first HD mfgs to jump on the mail in rebate band ... stiffing me on a bunch of rebates for drives I had bought for a project. ...
    (alt.security.alarms)
  • Re: External HD?
    ... Western), and have had bad luck with Maxtor internals, but the reviews I ... read on cnet and zdnet said the Seagate Pushbutton drives were very slow. ... For most things I use self powered drives. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Seagate buys Maxtor
    ... Seagate Technology's pending $1.9 billion acquisition of rival Maxtor ... ever beefier and faster hard drives that store data inside huge ... Based on Seagate's closing stock price on Tuesday, ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)