Re: Dream video machine or nightmare?

From: Captain Dondo (yan_at_NsOeSiPnAeMr.com)
Date: 05/28/05

    Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 17:54:00 -0700

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 19:19:09 -0400, John-Paul Stewart wrote:

    > Captain Dondo wrote:
    >> I have a project where we're trying to capture 4 video signals. For
    >> various reasons, we want to use 1 box if possible. Disk I/O and CPU are
    >> going to be limiting factors.
    > [snip]
    >> I want to use mencoder
    >> to capture the raw data, then post-process it to compress for storage
    >> and distribution.
    >
    > Just out of curiosity: why store raw data and compress it in post
    > processing? Lots of cards (e.g., the Hauppage WinTV PVR series) support
    > real-time hardware compression (i.e., the card does the compression rather
    > than the host CPU). That would eliminate the time-consuming
    > post-processing step, reduce load on the host CPU, and reduce disk I/O
    > requirements (storing compressed streams rather uncompressed).

    Well, I looked at the hardware compression cards; they're a bit out of our
    price range. Although it looks like getting hard disk bandwith might be
    the bottleneck...

    > FWIW, a company called Linux Media Labs (http://www.linuxmedialabs.com/)
    > offers some four input cards that may be of interest to you. The LMLBT44
    > in particular sounds like it might meet your needs with just one card.

    I'll check it out, thanks.

    --
    use munged address above to email me
    SpamTrap DoMeNow@seiner.com

    • Re: TV Tuner with HDMI input
      ... No, OTA broadcasts are in MPEG-2, it's already compressed and the cards you ... CableCARD will enable HDTV for many more users in the US. ... realtime HD compression, the cost of that is just prohibitive for consumers. ... > future for the Media Center platform. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
    • Re: Random Data compression by value question.
      ... >> digits each, the sums of the digits in each of the 50 columns are even. ... >> hardware generator by adding adjacent cards modulo 10. ... >> If the shuffle were random, then compression would not be possible even ... example, fpaq0, a simple order 0 coder, compresses the decimal file to ...
      (comp.compression)
    • Re: Random Data compression by value question.
      ... >> Has anyone succeeded in compressing Million digits yet? ... > hardware generator by adding adjacent cards modulo 10. ... > If the shuffle were random, then compression would not be possible even ... I don't believe the shuffle was ...
      (comp.compression)
    • Re: Planning to build a Windows Media Centre
      ... The hardware encoding on the cards I have seen, ... picture quality compression with smaller file sizes with a moderately ... Having dual cores is beneficial if you are doing more ... or recording two different channels with a dual tuner cards. ...
      (uk.comp.homebuilt)
    • Re: SBS Backup fails
      ... compression, but you found the hardware compression function is grayed out ... Business Backup Script.bks" /d "Small Business Server Backup created on ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)