Re: Which Distro to use?

From: james (fishbowl_at_conservatory.com)
Date: 06/14/05

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:25:41 GMT

In article <pan.2005.04.29.21.46.07.949418@zianet.com>,
ray <ray@zianet.com> wrote:

>In all honesty, you're not going to do great things with hardware that
>old.

I have a Toshiba notebook of about the same vintage, with only 16MB RAM,
and it does a great job as a highly portable terminal, running ssh...
And it has an EIGHT hour battery life, something I have never managed to
do with any other notebook! This machine also has an old-school
parallel port, and has no problem interfacing to a certain piece of
hardware that I use from time to time. And considering what this
computer has been through over the years, I think of it as
indestructible.

So it depends on how you define "great things."

On the other hand I'd never want this to be my only computer.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: $455 for a Krupa Hihat stand?
    ... Drums and hardware made with today's technologies and designs are just ... I quite liken it to those who drive/restore vintage cars. ... crap minivan will out perform a stock Model A in every respect, ... and I have a complete set of matching hardware. ...
    (rec.music.makers.percussion)
  • Re: $455 for a Krupa Hihat stand?
    ... I quite liken it to those who drive/restore vintage cars. ... and I have a complete set of matching hardware. ... I like the car analogy. ... through their private collections. ...
    (rec.music.makers.percussion)
  • Re: History of S-100 Board company Industrial Micro Systems (IMS)
    ... vintage S100 computers with a strong ... focus on hardware. ... mirror theirs for additional redundancy. ...
    (comp.os.cpm)
  • Re: Source level upgrade from 4.9 to CURRENT..
    ... are potential problems on hardware that is at minimum 6 years old. ... Everything about this project shouts DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! ... 4- vintage and upgraded continuously in place. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Price this kit
    ... Probably 1995-99 vintage. ... Hardware and cheap cymbals included. ... General questions; ...
    (rec.music.makers.percussion)