Re: what are the FASTEST usb flatbed SCANNERS running on LINUX?

From: RRB (rrb_at_despammed.com)
Date: 07/01/05

Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:58:39 +0200

> In each of my measurements, I started timing when my scanner (Epson
> Perfection 2400) was making the first noise, and I stopped the timer
> when the scanning was complete (that is, before the optical system
> started moving back to its rest position).
>
> When I scan the maximum scan area (21.59 x 29.72 cm² = 8.5 x 11.7
> inch²) in grayscale, my scanning times are:
> 240 dpi: 12 sec
Just to add another experience (it would be nice to have a scanner speed database!).

I have a Hp psc2175 perfectly working on debian sarge, kernel 2.6.7 and sane 0.97

Scanning an A4 document in 240dpi full color: 32sec
        A4 document 240dpi grayscale: 14sec

This is somehow biased by system load, disk activity and usb load, and the
measurement could be done more accurately.

--
"...vous avez tout la vie pour vous amuser,
     vous avez tout la mort pour vous reposer..."

Relevant Pages

  • Re: A "slanted edge" analysis program
    ... The "16-bit quick solution" don't change much for scanning a slanted edge, as you have to do the oversampling anyway. ... another bug in my fine scanner driver! ... results of *both* guessing and using measurements. ... *can* apply some amount of sharpening that doesn't cause "hills" in the ...
    (comp.periphs.scanners)
  • Re: measuring distances on scanned images
    ... > accurate measurements from it... ... > so I can calibrate any measurement I do on the enlargement ... ... calibrate both your scanner and your printer ... ... scale superimposed on your image. ...
    (comp.periphs.scanners)
  • Re: Measuring cpu time using getrusage
    ... According to the man page of getrusage i looked at the ... A heavy system load nearly doubles the measured time ... Just disable hyperthreading for these measurements. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Youre Help/Advice Please re Scanner for Slides and Negatives
    ... You won't find your HP 5470C even qualifies the entry level, let alone matches the capabilities of dedicated film scanners claiming similar resolution. ... Fourthly, try searching this newsgroups archives on resolution and you will not only find enough studies and samples to satisfy your quest for evidence, you will discover that the credentials of your correspondent are impeccable in this respect. ... you are making the claim that your scanner exceeds the capabilities of any 2400ppi flatbed scanner on the market. ... Not one of them comes close to resolving 2400ppi when they are actually measured, but somehow you think you have found something special that has escaped all other measurements. ...
    (comp.periphs.scanners)