Help sound problems

From: Grafster (graf.douglas_at_gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid)
Date: 07/28/05

    Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:45:57 -0500

    [sorry if this post is a bit long... I really don't know what specific
    lines I'm supposed to be pulling information from for some of this)
    Good morning. I just installed Ubuntu (Hoary Hedgehoge)or the first
    time (virus problems drove me from windows). Everything works great
    except that I can't get the sound to work.

    I posted on the hoary boards a day ago but there haven't been any
    responces yet (I hope this doesn't mean there isn't a solution...)

    The sound card is CMI9880L from CMedia; its part of the MSI 915P/G Neo
    2 Platinum Mboard). However the Alsa page
    (http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-do...-C-Media#matrix) doesn't seem
    to refer to this chipset anywhere. Does that mean that the chipset
    isn't Alsa?
    (Can anyone explain what the difference is?)

    aplay -l returns
    **************************************
    aplay: device_list:200: no soundcards found...
    **************************************

    The following is the output of the general hoary sound debug instrux
    (except that " lsmod | grep snd" doesn't seem to return any info)
    **************************************
    graf@Grafnet:~$ lspci
    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 915G/P/GV Processor to I/O
    Controller (rev 04)
    0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 915G/P/GV PCI Express Root Port
    (rev 04)
    0000:00:1b.0 0403: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family)
    High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)

    #deleted stuff that didn't look relivent to sound

    graf@Grafnet:~$ lsmod | grep snd
    graf@Grafnet:~$
    graf@Grafnet:~$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/login.wav
    ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:868snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
    aplay: main:508: audio open error: No such file or directory
    **************************************

    Does anyone have any idea?

    • Re: Audio recording
      ... It lets you play out a sound file directly to an *alsa* 'sink' ... The aplay command is an alsa one ... devices I can play, as well as the internal card, so I need some ...
      (uk.comp.os.linux)
    • Re: f9 without pulseaudio.
      ... from f9 and it will run like a normal alsa system. ... Sound in Flash in Firefox works just fine, but aplay doesn't. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: f9 without pulseaudio.
      ... from f9 and it will run like a normal alsa system. ... Sound in Flash in Firefox works just fine, but aplay doesn't. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Sound problem: rear speakers not working
      ... aplay: main:502: audio open error: No such file or directory ... motherboard and thought it was the main sound device. ...
      (alt.os.linux)