Re: Athlon X2 can't see all 4G of memory, help please

From: Steve Wolfe (unt_at_see-signature.com)
Date: 07/28/05

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:41:24 -0600

> The BIOS has a switch called S/W memory hole remapping, when OFF the BIOS
> sees 3.5G of RAM as does Linux. When ON the BIOS sees all 4G of RAM but
> Linux sees only 3G. I've given a mem=4096M to GRUB,

  If I recall, a certain amount of memory is reserved for use by PCI and
other devices, so you don't see exactly 4 gigs. In my opteron-based systems
with 8 gigs installed, /proc/meminfo reports between 7.3 and 7.7 gigs,
depending on the hardware in the machine.

steve

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Athlon X2 cant see all 4G of memory, help please
    ... > The BIOS has a switch called S/W memory hole remapping, ... If I recall, a certain amount of memory is reserved for use by PCI and ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Dell XPS 13 System Memory Issues (Probably caused by Intel HD3000)
    ... Mostly choose tiny live systems, ... the mem amount. ... systems we can define the missing amount. ... Back to BIOS. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Allocated video memory?
    ... my bios, and at certain points of the game it would blue screen. ... aperature size to a greater amount, some people claimed worked but I ... Like the above link states it does not have much effect on performance, ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips)
  • Re: RIP Steve jobs
    ... Think about the final effect of the BIOS clone. ... what I recall hearing... ... I recall hearing at someone did an extensive observation of the behavior of the original BIOS I/O and then wrote a very detailed spec for a chip that need to "behave thusly". ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: FOAK: Questions for memory/BIOS experts (long and technical...)
    ... limit the amount of RAM it reports (I thought 32-bit Windows had a 3 or ... with embedded graphics eating some of that (I believe the amount eaten is variable with intel graphics rather than fixed at boot time) XP sees 3.45GB ... You might have BIOS settings for "AGP aperature" or "memory hole" that might make a difference. ...
    (uk.rec.sheds)