SCSI hard drive: Input/output error

From: SQ (onestatusquo_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 08/11/05

Date: 11 Aug 2005 06:17:20 -0700

I have a SCSI hard drive, Quantum 9.1 GB.

Recently I have been unable to boot RH8 into multiuser mode, during
boot up I get an error, something similar to:

can't write to /etc/mtab : Input/output error

and then there is a bunch more Input/output errors.

Then it hangs on "starting system logger".

I've tried to go into Interactive bootup and got into single user mode
and none of the partitions could be mounted. I did a reboot -F and it
fsck-ed the partitions but got the same Input/output error. Then it
got into single-user again and only the / partition is mounted and most
commands are not found.

This sounds like the drive has gone bad. It's 6 years old, like the
rest of the machine, so it's not a surprise. I have 99% of the data
backed up but would like to recover a few things. Is there anything I
can do to boot into multiuser mode?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Advantage of partitioning?
    ... any rescue CD and a lot of boot floppies with local networks will ... ]> let you boot the system into a safe single user mode. ... ]Nonsense. ... ]> that one or more of their 20 partitions just doesn't have the space they ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: XP PC will not boot
    ... The smallest distro I've tried, is Damn Small Linux, at 50MB. ... and it won't boot on my computer. ... Knoppix, ... the source partitions can remain read-only while you're working. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: No System Restore/no Defrag/No adminstrator rights.
    ... I cannot even get into Safe Mode with F8 - all I get is the Boot choices. ... If System Restore fails at this point, ... You can scan all the partitions ... The initial scanning is quick enough, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: No System Restore/no Defrag/No adminstrator rights.
    ... I tried to DL an update and save to disc which it would let me do - I was hoping that a Restore Point might have been placed in System Restore. ... I cannot even get into Safe Mode with F8 - all I get is the Boot choices. ... You can scan all the partitions ... The initial scanning is quick enough, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: True Image Cloning
    ... partitions, replacing the 80 with 250 and tried to recover into the blank ... I get the cannot boot message and must use the install cd to enable the ... large variety of systems that ostensibly had USB boot capability. ... recommend to achieve boot capability via an external HDD is to use a SATA ...