Re: printer problem

From: Bill Marcum (bmarcum_at_iglou.com)
Date: 10/10/05

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:04:06 -0400

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:30:56 -0400, bob engler
  <engler@0sand1s-software.com> wrote:
> I have Redhat 4.1 on a system that I need to keep
> since we developed a driver for 2.0 and don't plan
> to upgrade. Several weeks ago my panasonic 1080i
> dot matrix started printing gibrish when doing
> "cat <fn> > /dev/lp1".

Does this happen with all files, or even with "ls -l >/dev/lp1"?
Can you describe the gibrish? Does it seem random, or does it resemble
what should have been printed? Is it printing characters or graphics?

> I have always printed like that
> and had done no changes to anything that I know of.
> The file /dev/lp1 has 0 crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 1 Dec 31
> 1979 /dev/lp1. I always am in as root. The printer works
> fine when botted up as WIN95 on that system using the
> same port, cable etc. The linux has worked fine with that
> printer for the past 8 years.
>
> Any ideas where and what to look for? I really don't
> want to reload the Linux.

Windows and newer versions of Linux usually print everything in
graphic mode. If the printer works in Windows but not in old Linux,
it could be that the character ROMs have gone bad.

If you haven't installed any more recent versions of Linux, you might be
surprised how much it has improved. You might need newer hardware,
especially if your old machine has less than 128 MB RAM, 200 MHz CPU, or
2 GB hard drive. If your machine can boot from CD-ROM, you could try a
live CD such as Knoppix.

--
Linux: the choice of a GNU generation
	-- ksh@cis.ufl.edu put this on Tshirts in '93

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
    ... working knowledge of Indian programmers DNA, nor of their intuitive Java ... > So Longhorn is not an experiment and Linux is an experiment? ... another chapter in the Windows story, and the Microsoft marketing machine is ... > application opens, Check the about, it says Microsoft Visual Basic 6.3. ...
    (soc.culture.lebanon)
  • FTP DOWNLOAD! More than 6500 CRACKED SOFTWARE(CAD,CAE,CAM,ED
    ... Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2005 ... DASSAULT SYSTEMES CAA ENOVIA LCA V5R13 ... ALTAIR.OPTISTRUCT V5.1 for LINUX ... ANSYS V8.0 FOR WINDOWS ...
  • Linux for Senior Citizens
    ... Linux for Senior Citizens ... For such people, I believe, Windows really is a better option: ... The kernel manages all the hardware and also looks after all running ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
    ... It's the same Linux code base. ... Microsoft Office on a Windows server, it will install and run fine, the main ...
    (soc.culture.lebanon)
  • Re: [SLE] Developing a Real Time Data System
    ... The KBasic License is valid for both operating systems: Windows and Linux. ... Modern BASIC language ... chapters learning about the programming language. ...
    (SuSE)