Re: printer problem

From: Bill Marcum (bmarcum_at_iglou.com)
Date: 10/10/05

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:04:06 -0400

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:30:56 -0400, bob engler
  <engler@0sand1s-software.com> wrote:
> I have Redhat 4.1 on a system that I need to keep
> since we developed a driver for 2.0 and don't plan
> to upgrade. Several weeks ago my panasonic 1080i
> dot matrix started printing gibrish when doing
> "cat <fn> > /dev/lp1".

Does this happen with all files, or even with "ls -l >/dev/lp1"?
Can you describe the gibrish? Does it seem random, or does it resemble
what should have been printed? Is it printing characters or graphics?

> I have always printed like that
> and had done no changes to anything that I know of.
> The file /dev/lp1 has 0 crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 1 Dec 31
> 1979 /dev/lp1. I always am in as root. The printer works
> fine when botted up as WIN95 on that system using the
> same port, cable etc. The linux has worked fine with that
> printer for the past 8 years.
>
> Any ideas where and what to look for? I really don't
> want to reload the Linux.

Windows and newer versions of Linux usually print everything in
graphic mode. If the printer works in Windows but not in old Linux,
it could be that the character ROMs have gone bad.

If you haven't installed any more recent versions of Linux, you might be
surprised how much it has improved. You might need newer hardware,
especially if your old machine has less than 128 MB RAM, 200 MHz CPU, or
2 GB hard drive. If your machine can boot from CD-ROM, you could try a
live CD such as Knoppix.

--
Linux: the choice of a GNU generation
	-- ksh@cis.ufl.edu put this on Tshirts in '93