Re: SATA woes

From: Whoever (nobody_at_devnull.none)
Date: 11/04/05

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:24:22 -0800

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, ellis@no.spam wrote:

> In article <m3irwf4j4t.fsf@lhwlinux.garlic.com>,
> Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn@garlic.com> wrote:
>
>> as an aside ... does FC4 install handle SATA disks.
>
> I'm running FC4 on SATA with no problems.

>From this page:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

"Note: There is no such thing as a distribution or its installer
(generically) "having SATA support" (or not). Please send anyone speaking
in such terms to this page. (Some SATA chipsets have been supported since
practically forever, as their programming interfaces are unchanged from
PATA predecessors. Others are brand-new and require new drivers from
scratch.)"

So the question is NOT "are you running SATA?", but, instead: "what SATA
chipset are you running?"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SATA woes
    ... > I'm running FC4 on SATA with no problems. ... "having SATA support". ... (Some SATA chipsets have been supported since ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: SATA woes
    ... Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote: ... I'm running FC4 on SATA with no problems. ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: SATA woes
    ... Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote: ... I'm running FC4 on SATA with no problems. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Backporting S-ATA driver SiI 3112a to FreeBSD-STABLE?
    ... I had planned to run 4.9 on this combo, but it seems the Serial ATA ... | Is there any chance of backporting this driver to -STABLE? ... The ICH5 SATA should work like the 6300ESB but I ... The Promise SATA support is solid in our testing. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: Linux Redhat 9.0 - SATA HDD compatibility
    ... Why RH9 couldn't detect the drive while BIOS could? ... Do I need to use more updated version of Redhat Linux to enable ... installation on this SATA II HDD? ... IOW only RHEL4 has good SATA support (I'm not even sure whether its ...
    (Linux-Kernel)